• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for some new design books

schramm

I am looking for some more ornament books and software to add to my ever growing collection. I own all of Golden Studios books, Ornament Design, Rolands Vector Art series, about 50 Dover designs catalogs, Corel Draws library of art and I use istockphoto and vectorart.com all the time.

I like scroll work or ornament in general. I would like a catalog of flourishes, centers, motifs and so on to add to the collection. If you know of any not mentioned that I already have please tell me about it.

schramm

Thinks you should make your own with your skills.

I do make a lot of my own stuff. I love doing new things when I have time. For the longest time I was steady but since I added colored mirror, back painted glass and now 2 way mirror I am swamped. Honestly my thing is making antique mirror glass and I am pretty good at it but I love adding designs into them.

schramm

Try to locate a copy of Strong's Book of Design.
Love...Jill

Funny you should say that as I don't have it yet but I just bought the 1917 edition of Strong's Book of Design, Charles Strong from a guy that I talk to on the internet in England in excellent condition. I paid him $80 US which included shipping.

schramm

Yeah free is great and yes that seems to be the book. I own about 15 very old sign books and love to look at the old designs. My favorite one is Atkinson's as I have 3 copies of the original and 1 is written all over the inside with notes that you can tell the guy or gal was practicing what he was teaching but from the writing it seems to be back when the book was published. To me that is the cool part of history!

Jillbeans

Yeah that's it but nothing beats having the real book.
My 1915 Atkinson also has a page of an old Speedball book used as a bookmark.
And my Cecil Wade books were a gift from Arthur Vanson when I visited him.
:)
Love that old book scent.

schramm

I collect old books on many different subjects but the older the better. I don't know about old book smell but I love old books. I have some as old as 1760.

Service Sign Co

I like old books also, Atkinson is one of my favorite. Also ran across 1000 Practical Show Card layouts by H.C. Martin .Haven't browsed through it in years.