• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for Thick Laminate Suggestions

SCDesign

We currently use a lot of 3M 3645, which is 8 mil, and this stuff is extremely tough. It is pretty expensive. I'm also not a huge fan of the surface texture, which I can best describe as kind of pebbly.

I'm looking for suggestions if anyone knows of a similar laminate, or even something thicker, that can be applied with a roll to roll laminator. I'm looking for something that's slip resistant as well. Thanks in advance if you have any ideas.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Johnny best turned me on to substance. Like already said, it's good stuff. We use their high tack vinyl, 6 mil textured laminate and 3150 regular laminate.

SCDesign

Substance inc has some great, thick roll laminates. We use them for Motorsport graphics.
Requesting a sample roll right now. For 6 mil, textured, anti-slip, they have a great price. I can't wait to check it out. Do you have a vinyl that you normally pair this with for motorsport graphics? I'm hoping I can use 3M 40C with it or 3M IJ180CV3 for certain applications. I don't see whether the 6 mil laminate is calendared, so I'm a little hesitant to put it over cast vinyl.

regardstobuck

Definitely a calendared laminate. I wouldn’t put it on ij180 for sure… I have found that the thick laminates tend to shrink and stretch a lot with different temps. We only use them with substance x1 vinyl.

untitled

Requesting a sample roll right now. For 6 mil, textured, anti-slip, they have a great price. I can't wait to check it out. Do you have a vinyl that you normally pair this with for motorsport graphics? I'm hoping I can use 3M 40C with it or 3M IJ180CV3 for certain applications. I don't see whether the 6 mil laminate is calendared, so I'm a little hesitant to put it over cast vinyl.
I wouldn't use either of those 3M vinyl's for a motorsports application. You are going to want something more aggressive meant for plastics. You want a Low Surface Energy material. I'd pair their laminate with their vinyl. I can't comment on the performance of their materials yet as I am waiting on my new printer before I try the samples of two of their LSE vinyl's and their 12mil laminate.