• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lost my 2013 emails in Outlook Express

I was moving emails from my inbox to customer folders and Outlook crashed. re-opened Outlook and now all my 2013 emails are gone! I want to cry. If anyone has suggestions on how to retrieve them please let me know. I have XP pro. I looked in every folder including the deleted to see if they just ended up in the wrong place and looked in the message store folder but they aren't there. Any help is appreciated.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I was moving emails from my inbox to customer folders and Outlook crashed. re-opened Outlook and now all my 2013 emails are gone! I want to cry. If anyone has suggestions on how to retrieve them please let me know. I have XP pro. I looked in every folder including the deleted to see if they just ended up in the wrong place and looked in the message store folder but they aren't there. Any help is appreciated.

Here's to closing the gate after the horse got away...but we .pdf all our customer emails, and keep them on file with their job data. It's part of our "electronic paper trail" that has helped save our tail more than once over the years.

Sorry I can't say much beyond that.

JB

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
do you have a windows restore point you can use? If you have a hard drive back up that is relatively current i would think that those emails could be retrieved there.

I use a Mac and I can retrieve all my emails using my Time Machine back up which runs every hour

phototec

I don't use Outlook, but when I lost some of my Yahoo emails, I contacted Yahoo (AT&T), and they were able to recover my lost emails and re-post them to my account. The emails are still on there servers for a while, you have do it in the first few days, before they are gone forever.

Also, searching Google for "how to recover lost emails in OutlooK", I found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-bWWjtpTR0

:thumb:

Locals Find!

Those emails should still be saved on your hard drive somewhere. Sounds like your outlook has a glitch retrieving them into the software. I would contact microsoft and see if its a known issue they can help you fix.

However, personally I would use a web based service like Gmail to check my pop3 accounts. This is what I do its cheap, easy and reliable. No one will know your using gmail as your mail client to send and receive. Since, you will still be emailing out from your normal pop3 email address.

S11930

one suggestion did you search for *.pst files that is the extension for outlook

another suggestion is they might not be lost but moved into another directory. such as another inbox or out box.

omgsideburns

Unless you regularly compress or whatever they call that maintenance in Outlook, it won't create the BAK backup files of the DBX folder files.. just had to fix this the other day for someone.. Ugh.

WildWestDesigns

I would think they would still be in your email that Outlook grabs from...assuming you're using a gmail or similar account?

This is going to depend on the settings in Outlook. You can either set it up to delete after it retrieves or it will keep them on the server, marked as "read", so Outlook "knows" not to keep on retrieving old emails. This is for a POP3 setup.

thesignguy1986

Same thing happened to me just a couple weeks ago. I use go daddy and everything is backed up on there assuming you don't have a delete setup on your outlook or live. Now this is with godaddy and windows live but you should check to see whoever your email is through such as Go daddy for example they most likely have it backed up there...Mine can have emails pulled for last 30 days...

Thanks for all the replies. I especially like the idea of calling NSA ... do I dare call them and ask if they could please send me my missing emails?

I still haven't found them on my hard drive, and I'm sure they didn't just disappear into thin air. Luckily, I'm diligent at responding to the emails so most of the original messages are in my sent box with my reply. Guess I'll spend my part of my weekend backing up some stuff and storing things in the cloud where.

Thanks again and have a great weekend. :smile: