• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mac Users Meeting!!!

Geary

Hey y'all. Been a couple of years, I know. I've been dragged back out of hiding via the poor economy. Yes, you heard me...and the old timers will know what I mean. Business booms in our craft when times are bad just before the "Holidays". Naturally. Because when it's "good" nobody cares about sprucing up shop in order to bring in more business. At least this is my story and I'm sticking to it. :toasting:

SO, new things for me. I've got a spankin' new Mac and I need to make my old cutter, the 30" Panther that I got 7 years ago, work with the new machine. I have ZERO support from the company I bought it from because they "no longer support the older cutters with the older software." However they will sell me the "new version of Flexi" and they're still "calling around to see if it works" . At any rate, I'm merely wondering if any of my brothers(and sisters)-of-Signage has any practical hands-on experience with using the Snow Leopard and Flexi..........OR..........any other method that will allow my good ol' plotter to work. (yes....I still love the plotter...it cuts beautifully).

Thanks and Blessings to All,
Gear

Geary

"Mosh" .....
Two resolutions....#1) Macs have always worked flawlessly in Sign shops.
#2.) The Panther has and is a great cutting machine. Best bang for the buck, hands down. and just as good for cutting details of ANY plotter I ever used in the last 25 years. And I have used them ALL.....Graphtec, Summa, Gerber, etc.

Incredibly, your reply was less help than the "help desk" at Sign Supply warehouses all over the country. lmao :scream: The reason, just to remind you, we have a "Signs101" is to get HELP. This is not a free forum merely to bash other users' stuff.

Okay....so.....will wait for actual MacUsers. Thankyouverymuch. :rolleyes:

~Gear

cgsigns_jamie

Hi Geary,

I got your email.... Flexi 8.5 will open your older Flexi files with no problem.

If your plotter was connected via a Serial port on your old Mac you'll need to get a USB to RS-232c converter... like THIS ... Then you should be able to connect the old plotter to the new Mac. You shouldn't have to worry about drivers because Production Manager should run the plotter for you.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Geary

Wow Thanks!!

PERFECT Jamie! Just the answer I was looking for. And FAST too! Almost as fast as the "MacHaters.org Club" .....lol. (but, we're used to that right?) :rock-n-roll:

~Gear

CustomRide

If you don't want to run the new flexi and stick with what you got. Get a program called parallels from best buy its around $69 give or take. It will allow you to run xp and other os on your new mac. It will just appear as another window that you can downsize/enlarge whatever when you need to use it. There is another program called vm-ware it seemed to be a little buggy and would not allow us to use the usb ports on some equipment especially on the rs232 to usb converter cables...it was like the mac port never recognized the usb was plugged in. It will be like having the old windows based computer on your new mac....

Also please make sure if you do buy one of the USB to RS232 converter cables check if it comes with a driver CD. We have also noticed that SOME of the driver cd's that come with this converter cable have a driver CD that is smaller than a normal one...almost like a promo looking CD. It works in the windows based machines fine however it won't work on the imac or a computer with a cd drive that DOES NOT have a center holder that holds the cd's in place.....the newer imacs are pop in and out style no drive that slides out so a cd can snap in place.

We have an older piece of equipment we still use setup like this.

Hope this helps.:cool1:

Geary

Rep and Gino.....YO! Thanks for the welcome back Brothers! :U Rock: :beer

Custom Ride : Thanks dude. I appreciate your experience as well. Very informative :thumb: I don't have a need to run any Windows programs....just old Mac stuff. I've been looking into "SheepShaver" as well. Heard it works wonderfully well and especially so that it's FREE :) ....but, I think I'm going to go with new Flexi software. I can get an upgrade deal from Summa for 500 bucks. That's sounding the best for me at this juncture. .....I think :covereyes:

~Gear

bayviewsignworks

I have a MacBook Pro running 10.4 with Parallels that runs my digital printer. I'm going to be updgrading soon and will probably just get a newer laptop. Only problem I have is the EWthernet port doesn't work so I'm stuck with wireless - which is great most of the time. I also have an old G4 tower that I'm replacing the harddrive tonight to a 80 GB. If that doesn't fix the crashing I will be buying a new system with Panter. This will cause me to upgrade Flexio - which is over due anyway.

For all the naysayers out there - Macs work great in this field. Windows why would you risk it...

Geary

Thanks BayView,

I think if we follow the sage advice of Jamie with CG Signs (up above) and use their setup or similar.....we'll be fine. :thumb:

Btw, 'nuff said about the - what platforms we each like....k? Don't really want to get into a "flamewars" over that. :flamey: Because, honestly, I've produced good work out of all three platforms over all the years... :peace!:

Cheers,
Gear

Mainframe

Geary, I run an old Roland cam 24 & Flexi on 10.5 with the serial adapter CG suggested, works great! Keep your Mac, just max out the ram & go