• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Machine Reading "Y over current Ave" when in use.

Hello all, I have a Mimaki CJV30-100 and im getting a message "y over current ave".

It will do this in the initialising stage when the cutter carriage heads back to its position on the left. sometimes it will make it past this stage but when then when I test print or try to print the same message with show up when the print head is scanning.

Ive looked online bit and some things point towards a y motor but not entirely sure. if somebody out there has had this problem or similar problem could you offer any advise. im only in my first few years of business and this is slowly destroying my life whilst this machine in sat still.

Any help is much appreciated.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Overcurrent errors are almost never the motor themselves. It just so happens that in this case I've seen the exact situation happen on CJV30s multiple times. Boot the machine up in parameter input mode, power on while holding the left and right arrow keys. It will boot in system parameter mode. Hit the end key once to exit system parameter mode. Then scroll down to Cut System Parameters and hit enter. Then scroll down to parameter 37: CLKADJST and hit enter. Using the arrow keys, changed the value to 0 and hit enter. Once the parameter saves, turn the main power switch off on the back of the machine. Then boot up in normal mode and the machine will automatically adjust the lock position and that should get rid of the error.

Overcurrent errors are almost never the motor themselves. It just so happens that in this case I've seen the exact situation happen on CJV30s multiple times. Boot the machine up in parameter input mode, power on while holding the left and right arrow keys. It will boot in system parameter mode. Hit the end key once to exit system parameter mode. Then scroll down to Cut System Parameters and hit enter. Then scroll down to parameter 37: CLKADJST and hit enter. Using the arrow keys, changed the value to 0 and hit enter. Once the parameter saves, turn the main power switch off on the back of the machine. Then boot up in normal mode and the machine will automatically adjust the lock position and that should get rid of the error.
Thanks so much for your reply , ive carried out your instructions. FYI the CLKADJST was set at 35 when went into the setting.

The Cutter carriage seemed to struggle to find its position when it first traveled back to the left but it did make it past that stage. it still gives the same error when I attempt a test print. it quickly flashes error 43 y current error and then stays on the "Y over current ave" screen.

Thanks so much for your reply , ive carried out your instructions. FYI the CLKADJST was set at 35 when went into the setting.

The Cutter carriage seemed to struggle to find its position when it first traveled back to the left but it did make it past that stage. it still gives the same error when I attempt a test print. it quickly flashes error 43 y current error and then stays on the "Y over current ave" screen.
I believe this started as the head was set too low and was dragging on the wiper blade, resulting in the wiper blade being unable to move all the way into the path of the print head. maybe this has put too much stress on the motor? could you advise where the sensor is that I would need to clean?

Okay! sorry for the many replies but i have just changed my setting to uni directional and the problem seems to have have stopped, any ideas why this could be?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Ah ok so it sounds like it is more of an issue than just the lock. I would clean the encoder strip, clean and grease the rail the head carriage slides on, and look for anything that could cause drag on the head carriage. Is the machine loud when it prints?

Ah ok so it sounds like it is more of an issue than just the lock. I would clean the encoder strip, clean and grease the rail the head carriage slides on, and look for anything that could cause drag on the head carriage. Is the machine loud when it prints?
I have not noticed a change in sound, i have just changed my setting to uni directional instead of bi directional and the problem seems to have have stopped, any ideas why this could be?

I believe this started as the head was set too low and was dragging on the wiper blade, resulting in the wiper blade being unable to move all the way into the path of the print head. maybe this has caused the dragging you mentioned and put too much stress on the motor? could you advise where the sensor is that I would need to clean?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I have not noticed a change in sound, i have just changed my setting to uni directional instead of bi directional and the problem seems to have have stopped, any ideas why this could be?

I believe this started as the head was set too low and was dragging on the wiper blade, resulting in the wiper blade being unable to move all the way into the path of the print head. maybe this has caused the dragging you mentioned and put too much stress on the motor? could you advise where the sensor is that I would need to clean?
Anything hitting the head carriage can give an overcurrent. It detects it in two ways, 1 is if it simply hits it's max voltage so that's when the head carriage hits something that makes it stop basically. But the other way is average voltage too high which is when it lightly hits something many times and the average voltage gets too high. Going into uni-directional puts less strain on the motor in the long run so that could be it.

Anything hitting the head carriage can give an overcurrent. It detects it in two ways, 1 is if it simply hits it's max voltage so that's when the head carriage hits something that makes it stop basically. But the other way is average voltage too high which is when it lightly hits something many times and the average voltage gets too high. Going into uni-directional puts less strain on the motor in the long run so that could be it.I
It does seem to happened less frequently in uni mode but its still happening. ive cleaned the rail and encoder strip looks okay and has been checked by an engineer when he was last in. do you think its time to replace the y motor?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It does seem to happened less frequently in uni mode but its still happening. ive cleaned the rail and encoder strip looks okay and has been checked by an engineer when he was last in. do you think its time to replace the y motor?
It's possible. I am always reluctant to recommended motors because in 13 years working on these machines I've only seen 1 motor ever fail. Seeing as this model is a little older, maybe the motor has just run it's course.

Jack1995

It's possible. I am always reluctant to recommended motors because in 13 years working on these machines I've only seen 1 motor ever fail. Seeing as this model is a little older, maybe the motor has just run it's course.
I am having a similar problem on my cjv30-160. I am getting past the initialisation but it fails when I try to detect the media. It releases the hook but triggers the OVERcurrentAVE error message. Any suggesting welcome. Thanks