• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Madhouse on History Channel

Mosh

Show about racers. I was hoping to see some lettering or wraps getting put on. NOT! That guy that is helping JR miller is a Meth Tweeker if I ever saw one. Just watch him, always tweeking around, not making any sence. Want to see what meth does, look at him!

southpawP8NTR

I was thinking the same thing. Dr. Drew's new rehab prospect. There's going to be a dirt modified version airing soon on Discovery called Heartland Thunder.

intensegraphics

The Heartland Thunder thing might be pretty cool to watch. Too bad it isn't feasable to go to more than one track. I wonder if the car count was up at Lakeside on the nights they were scheduled to film????

Last edited:

gnatt66

i watch it..of course. it's certainly pumped with a little TV drama and all, but still worth watching for die hard race fans like me. The american logger/ax men type shows are still my favs though. :)

bowman gray is soooo damn flat. i'd hate that place. we race at a little 1/4 mile bullring too, but its got some wicked banking. our 2bbl pro stocks turn 13.0 laps when things are good.

round man

I grew up within earshot of bowman grey,....spent many a saturday night as a youngster going to sleep listening to the announcer and the roar of the cars,,,,Grew up to spend twenty five years painting racetrack signage all over the southeast for "Winston Cup" sponsors,(Darlington,Rockingham,Charlotte,Talladega,Pocono,Atlanta,North Wilkesboro,Martinsville,etc)....wouldn't change a moment of it looking back on it all,...The guy you talk about Mosh, is a friend of my brother's,his name is Rusty and he has a couple of kids and he definatly is not a methhead,..he used to come by my mom's house all the time,..he may drink too much coffee but he is the small wirey nervous type by nature not chemicals,.....One of the local high schools used to use the infield at bowman grey for a football field,I can remember playing in high school there and getting cuts from the small pieces of metal that would end up on the playing field.later on I would paint the scoreboard there once a year,...

as for wraps you guys would love to see how the big boys do it at the sprint cup level,..it only takes about an hour,or less, for a couple of guys to wrap the cars you see on tv each saturday nite and sunday,...they have a frame to stretch the wrap and then they lower it over the car as they install,stretching it,cutting, and squeegeeing as they lower it.

Last edited:

stephenj148

I grew up within earshot of bowman grey,....spent many a saturday night as a youngster going to sleep listening to the announcer and the roar of the cars,,,,Grew up to spend twenty five years painting racetrack signage all over the southeast for "Winston Cup" sponsors,(Darlington,Rockingham,Charlotte,Talladega,Pocono,Atlanta,North Wilkesboro,Martinsville,etc)....wouldn't change a moment of it looking back on it all,...The guy you talk about Mosh, is a friend of my brother's,his name is Rusty and he has a couple of kids and he definatly is not a methhead,..he used to come by my mom's house all the time,..he may drink too much coffee but he is the small wirey nervous type by nature not chemicals,.....One of the local high schools used to use the infield at bowman grey for a football field,I can remember playing in high school there and getting cuts from the small pieces of metal that would end up on the playing field.later on I would paint the scoreboard there once a year,...

as for wraps you guys would love to see how the big boys do it at the sprint cup level,..it only takes about an hour,or less, for a couple of guys to wrap the cars you see on tv each saturday nite and sunday,...they have a frame to stretch the wrap and then they lower it over the car as they install,stretching it,cutting, and squeegeeing as they lower it.

you can sort of watch guys wrap Greg Biffles car in a few of these videos.
http://commercialgraphics.3m.implex.net/ScotchgardVideosXML.html

K Chez

I know a lot of racing people bag on this show, but I really dig it. Kinda has an American Chopper feel to it and is a good look into what short track racers go through on a weekly basis. No 300+ employee multi million dollar operations, teams of engineers, & massive race shops and pampered drivers. Just racers that do all the work on their own car out of their own pocket, in the garage behind their house with friends and volunteer help that are doing for the love of racing, not a big paycheck. And it's my favorite type of car, asphalt modifieds! I hope they do another season.

k.a.s.

Round Man that must've been some cool stuff, working around that would be awesome. As for the show it is really cool, I really like shows that look behind the scenes. It's very entertaining.

Kevin

round man

Actually it was kinda fun,...often as not the teams would schedule practice sessions while we painted at the tracks back then,....seems our sponsor would make sure there were emt teams on hand as many of the jobs we had to do were somewhat dangerous to begin with,wall work, and billboards usually meant working at some sort of heights. this meant the teams wouldn't have to pay for the emt teams and it saved them money. many a day I spent outside the turns with cars flying by 10 feet away,....we used to call the sound that they made when they goofed up "rainin' dumpsters",...thats what it sounds like when only one car has a mishap and goes bouncing ,bumping and sliding for half a mile or more,....Got to hang out with most of the guys that are in the hall of fame for those two decades and several who didn't live long enough to see it,..did work that was in several movies and got to see my work on tv every sunday for quite a few years,...to this day if I hear tires squeeling,or a car miss a grear I'll react and dive for cover,...I also got to letter (with brush and paint back then) several cars in the garage for last minute sponsors on race day,ain't nuthin in the rules that says the lettering has to be totally dry for the race,.....

smott

Hey Round Man,
Did you ever know a guy named Wesley Williams? He followed Nascar for years lettering race cars and such. Played a trumpet in bands that catered to the Nascar bunch back then.

Wes was my first cousin. He died a few years ago. My Dad taught Wesley to letter many years ago. But like many of the old timers, he loved his booze too. Something about the lead in paint and alcohol.

round man

Where did he hail from Smott? there were alot of camp followers as we called them and they came and went alot,... especially the boozers,...I met alot of sign men along the way,..did he have a nickname? If it wasn't from the '79 to '93 era probably not,... the only work after those dates I did was at Rockingham and Darlington,excepting the year`2000 season in which I went back on the tour to help with a major logo change on "Winston's" part.....All the traveling cost me a marriage so I had to downscale to look after my three sons,....

Pat Whatley

Get to the important part....WHY IS THAT SHOW ON THE HISTORY CHANNEL? Did they run out of things that have occurred in the last million or so years to show? Six months ago isn't history and it's local racing...it's no more important than a crap game in an alley in Brooklyn in 1954.

While I found the one show I watched entertaining (from a "let me act tough because the camera is here" standpoint) but it's on the wrong station.

Idea Design

Get to the important part....WHY IS THAT SHOW ON THE HISTORY CHANNEL? Did they run out of things that have occurred in the last million or so years to show? Six months ago isn't history and it's local racing...it's no more important than a crap game in an alley in Brooklyn in 1954.

While I found the one show I watched entertaining (from a "let me act tough because the camera is here" standpoint) but it's on the wrong station.

Even though it's the History Channel, they are all tied together; Discovery, A&E, TLC, History, all of those.

The one show that I like to watch on History (which I feel is also the wrong channel) is Gangland. Good stuff. Gritty.

Another good one is Lockup on MSNBC.

round man

Lets get real here,..we are all in the advertising business in a way of speaking,...two college kids from Wake Forest U here in town sold an idea to the networks,...the network bosses thought it would boost ratings ,....thus they can sell ad time for more bux because of the higher ratings,...the two twenty year olds got an "A" for that semester and we as "the masses" are the victims of these two twenty year old college students,..IF,... we are stupid enough to waste our time in front of the boob tube and try to comprehend this "Madhouse",...and if you actually think it is an authentic representation of racing at the professional level I have some ocean front property in New Mexico that you can buy cheep cheep,....only watched the first two episodes myself ,..the second one just be sure it was unadulterated bs,....the only reason I answered this post was to defend a friend who was classified as a druggy by someone halfway across the country who has never met him,.....

and if you actually think it is an authentic representation of racing at the professional level I have some ocean front property in New Mexico that you can buy cheep cheep,....

Where at in NewMexico? I should be close by!

but really.. if it was "true" to racing. No one would watch it.
I watch it because i hate JR
and its like highclass redneck racing!

K Chez

So I guess either people that run just local and regional series don't go through stuff like this on a weekly basis or you've spent way too much time in the NASCAR empire and not enough at a local short track. If by "professional level" you mean top tier "cup" racing then, no, it's not. But then again, racing at the "cup" level is in the crapper-the actual racing is way down the list of priorities behind marketing, tv revenue, and putting $$$ in the Frances pockets. All the things that NA$CAR used to look down on Indy racing & F1 for is exactly what they've become. They pushed aside the fans that got them to where they are to cater to the "casual" fans, and now that those fans have found something else to be casual about, NA$CAR suddently cares about the hardcore fans again. Give me modifieds and short track racing any day!

gnatt66

So I guess either people that run just local and regional series don't go through stuff like this on a weekly basis or you've spent way too much time in the NASCAR empire and not enough at a local short track. If by "professional level" you mean top tier "cup" racing then, no, it's not. But then again, racing at the "cup" level is in the crapper-the actual racing is way down the list of priorities behind marketing, tv revenue, and putting $$$ in the Frances pockets. All the things that NA$CAR used to look down on Indy racing & F1 for is exactly what they've become. They pushed aside the fans that got them to where they are to cater to the "casual" fans, and now that those fans have found something else to be casual about, NA$CAR suddently cares about the hardcore fans again. Give me modifieds and short track racing any day!

well put. Na$car mismanaged and sometimes neglected its short track program to the point that it's now on life support. in 1996 my home track produced the "national champion"...he scored like 160 grand for it! there were just over 100 nascar weekly tracks.

now there is HALF that many parcipitating tracks, the "dues" that nascar gets from the track owners are up and the payouts are down. they've ruined the busch north series and turned it into a development series for rich kids and nascar babies, and let the whelen modified tour turn into a Connecticut only stagnant mess.

blah.

round man

Until you've spent the better part of at least a decade in strange towns each week and staying in different motels,..eating all your meals in restaurants,hours upon hours driving to and from racetracks you wouldn't understand,..the folks at the "Cup" level have only so much time they can sacrifice to entertain the public without totally giving up any reasonable home life with their families,and freinds. Thirty weekends a year means only twenty or less with your family,..that can be a burden that most will not survive,..don't ask me how I came to know this,....the fans can't get enough of the motorsport circus,... so does that mean that the entertainers and the backstage crew should sacrifice their private life to the public? An old crew chief once told me," One monkey ain't gonna stop the circus" So it's the racers and sanctioning body's fault that they had to change the way things are done??????
How many of you would take your sign business and refuse to expand it ,eliminate any chances of success, and approach it in a manner that would take away from your family life thirty weeks a year just to suit your customers???????

As for the racing at the local level I wouldn't know,...I kinda look at it like you folks do with the guy down the street with a $299 plotter working out of his back bedroom,....