• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Magnetic Sports Decals

Leyla

Hello,

I am a new member and am interested in creating circular magnet sports decals for automobiles. I would like magnetic decals to be multicolored. I have never worked with signs/decals/ before. I was looking at this as a way to generate some additional income.

I've tried to do a little research on the internet, and have put some pieces together, but I have some questions. So far, it appears to me that you can create these a number of different ways. First, by creating your design on a software like Corel Draw, printing the design on vinyl material, transferring vinyl onto the magnetic material, then laminating for protection, and then die cutting.

The other way, appears to be by screen printing directly onto the magnetic material. I am having trouble finding information regarding this method.

The first method appears to me to perhaps be the simplest and maybe most cost effective way to get started. Here are my questions:

1. Is my description of the 1st method somewhat correct?

2. Can I use an inkjet printer to print the designs onto the vinyl, and if so, what would be a viable vinyl media, and inkjet printer/ink? I am only interested in creating small 5" diameter circles. I don't see a need for large format printer.

3. Would above method/equipment/materials be adequate such that magnetic sign would last 3-5 years?

4. What would be a rough guess for $amount to get equipment needed. Die cutting is not a problem for me as I know of a local die cutter that can create dies and cut the material.

Any additional information or direction that you could direct me to would be appreciated!

Thanks to All!

Pat Whatley

Might want to start at your local dollar store first. The one's around here pop up with full color magnetic baseballs, basketballs, and footballs priced at 2 for $1.

Flame

Figure on atleast $20K in equipment to do this right.

I'd suggest a Mutoh Valuejet, Roland VersaCamm, or Summa DC4. They all range from $12-$15K. Then about $500 in vinyl and laminate to keep in stock. Then roughly $200-$400 in tools. You could use a hand laminator for $100 or so, or if you are doing higher quantities, a alright cold laminator would run about $1500. Need a plotter if you want to cut the vinyl before laying it down. Atleast $2500.

Figure on keeping atleast $300 in ink in stock, atleast $700-$1000 in design and RIP programs. Need a small work table (cost would vary), a cutting mat ($40-$150), and a computer that can handle graphics ($500 atleast IMO).

About what you'd be looking at. You could buy use to save a good chunk of change, but the digital printing world is NOT cheap, and is not for everyone. Don't forget the learning curve, you can't put a pricetag on that...

Ken

Hello Leyla, welcome from BC, Canada.
As Flamey suggests, to get set up for this..it is costly. It sounds like a project to be out-sourced to someone already set up and good to go.....if you are determined..
As far as I know..there are not any small scale solvent printers in the market...30 inch is the smallest I've seen ( Versacamm and others). And those will give a 3-4 year durability after laminating..Gerber claims a 5 yr life span...that's not ink-jet.
Welcome, good luck..good life!
Ken

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Welcome from OK
I tried some sports magnets for the local schools. Printed picture with a little info like year, position, name, team name. I felt like I had to charge more than what it was worth to come out ok.

I suggest you get someone to print them for you. Just do the art work and outsource everything else until you can justify the expense of doing it all yourself. You may even find you don't like doing it all that much and will be relieved to not have a payment to make on equipment.