• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Magnum Magnetics

Bill43mx

I just received my first set of magnetic sign blanks....Magnum Magnetic "sign in a tube" 12" x 18". There are bubbles in the white vinyl surface, particularly in one area of one blank (see picture). I can't believe this is typical but there are bubbles on both blanks. Is the quality of these things really this bad or did I just get a bad set?

Attachments

• MM.jpg
    MM.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 113

CanuckSigns

looks like a bad batch to me, can you buy magnetic rolls with no vinyl applied? The vinyl they use is horrible and I want to apply my own cast white vinyl

Bill43mx

Watsons....This was all I could find in pre-cut blanks. We don't have much call for magnets so I wasn't looking for a roll. Having said that, we are overlaying a digital print so I would have been happier with plain magnets rather than bubbles in the vinyl layer. I imagine I would just be making a bigger mess if I tried to strip off the white vinyl that's on there though. I've submitted a form to their customer service, we'll see what they say.

Surf city...thanks, at least I know now it's not typical of their quality.

FrankenSigns.biz

I have been told, REPEATEDLY, not to run this kind of material through my Roand. Let us know how it plays out for you.

BTW, send this roll back, it's a bad batch.

Si Allen

If you buy a roll ... buy the small roll!

The bigger roll is OK IF you have a pet gorilla to move it around for you!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Can't say I've ever seen bubbles in it from the factory, but we also buy the rolls.

Someone asked about running it through their printer. You will void any warranties, but it can be done. We don't on our Roland, but now that we have the flatbed, we run it through that all the time.

njshorts

Can't say I've ever seen bubbles in it from the factory, but we also buy the rolls.

Someone asked about running it through their printer. You will void any warranties, but it can be done. We don't on our Roland, but now that we have the flatbed, we run it through that all the time.

they have printer-specific MM mag for mutoh...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
they have printer-specific MM mag for mutoh...

I was told it was the magnetism in the material itself, that can hurt or ruin some of the parts in these printers. The Roland has very little near the printing area that is receptive to magnets, therefore the magnetics won't have any resistance for going through, but there are still parts inside the housing that shouldn't have any magnetic pull near it.

J

john1

I just cut off 6' off a 10' roll i bought and it was flawless. Must be a bad batch.

signage

Gino I do not see how the magnetism in a magnet would damage electrical parts being that all current flowing has magnetic flux lines around them! Now it causing the printer to not operate properly while it is moving through would be a different story.

trakers

Use MM exclusively, never saw bubbles, but see what looks like "sand" under the vinyl all the time. Just ordered 2 rolls from Grimco. Never get it from them but they had one of their "Friday Specials" and it was like $74 a roll compared to $123 a pop at Fellers.

Bill43mx

Update......
I took a closer look at the flaws and discovered it's not actually "bubbles" in the vinyl but rather that there are bumps on the magnetic material under the vinyl. I've spoken to my rep at Grimco and with Cameron at Magnum Magnetic and have another set on the way to me. I wish I hadn't received defective blanks in the first place but it's nice to know there are still some vendors that believe in customer service.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Glad you're getting your problem taken care of...... see, there are some good people left in the world.

Brian..... I'm just repeating what was told to me by my old vendor and something that was told to me by a Roland rep.

It made sense then and it still does. Not saying what you're saying is wrong, but perhaps, they just didn't explain it to me correctly. I was always told to keep any magnetic tools, strips or media away from computers and every printer I bought.

I had one rep once tell me it's Okay to do once in a while, but not at all routinely, that it was too hard on the internal circuitry or whatever.