• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Main Frames

Gordy Saunders

If I go to a main frame will I be able to create multiple work stations for one program like Flexi, and be able to output from those stations to the plotters and printers?

R08

Mainframes have a historical reputation for being "expensive," but the modern reality is much different. As of late 2006, it is possible to buy and configure a complete IBM mainframe system (with software, storage, and support), under standard commercial use terms, for about $50,000 (U.S.).

And at $50K it's a bargain.:thumb:

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
If I go to a main frame will I be able to create multiple work stations for one program like Flexi, and be able to output from those stations to the plotters and printers?

No.

Flexi runs with PC's or Mac's. You might get it cranked up on the big iron with some sort of emulator. Further assuming that you could run multiple simultaneous but independent emulators such that Flexi thinks it's only running once on the system. That's a lot of assumptions.

Cheaper and easier to buy multiple PC's/Mac's and multiple Flexi licenses and share all of your data files. Either on one central machine or spread out among all machines. The former has the charm of everything being in one place, the later has the charm of everything not being in one place.

I have one copy and one license of Flexi fully installed on two machines that are hard networked together and each shares the other's C drive. I could just as easily have n machines. I have to run Production manager on the one machine than physically has the hasp key installed and then I can run Flexi from either. But only one iteration at a time. Flexi will complain if you try to run it in both places simultaneously.

It's no sweat to start Production manager on one machine from the other using the free WinVNC software. I could whomp up a bit of devious code to allow me to run it on both machines at the same time but why? There's only one of me and one machine is in my office in my house and the other is out in my shop building. My arms aren't that long.