• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Making Stuff for a Union in NYC

Sign_Boy

I was curious - Can anyone make stuff (shirts, decals, hats, and so on) for a union in NYC? Or do you have to be a union shop?

From what I recall - (say they get shirts) they want them to be made in the USA but does it have to a union brand or union made?

Any info on this would be great.
Thanks in advance

ahollow

I do work for Fire and Police unions down here in South Jersey all the time; most don't even care if the items are made in the USA or not, or at least they don't ask. Bottom line: cost.

Vicg

Im doing a large project now were the requirment is if non union company wins the bid then they must hire union to do the installation.
It all depends what type of union police and fire are more laxed than a contractor or equipment union are.
Bid the job and go from there.
Vic

G-Artist

My union and every union I have ever belonged to demands union made goods.

Where the substrate may not be union made due to unavailbility, the imprinter
had to be 100% union and the imprinter's shop label would be affixed - always.

To be honest, a lot of the organized shops have gone by the wayside as have
shops in general and union locals will buy from anyone because they don't have
a local union shop to supply them anymore.

TheSnowman

I bid a job for the stupid GM union here, and they just wanted my lowball price, I gave them my normal price, then added some, because I know unions are nothing but a pain in the butt. You can't even drive in their parking lot unless you have an american made car...which I have no issue with cause I buy them, but their little "clubs" are just stupid.

Then they found out I "wasn't union" (which I'm not ever sure why they thought I would be) and apparently they didn't like that cause they told me I probably won't get the job...which I didn't.

Sign_Boy

So I guess it could go either way, probably depends on who you are dealing with.

In this situation there wouldn't be a bidding process.
I have a few ideas that I think would sell but I wasn't sure if I would be able to go forward with it.