• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Massive stencil needed, 25'x150' for roof top graphic

Old Timer

could you hire a sign painter in your area that can lay it out for you? sure beats patterns or banners or any of that. I have done a few of these by chalking it out with great success

Johnny Best

Agree with old timer, this job is easy, no hanging off walls, a good layout to scale, couple boxes of chalk a 2" cut in brush and wham your done. Old Timer and myself will knock that sucker out in a morning. Did one to scale, 5 minutes.
surfsup.jpg

ddarlak

Go Bills!
i'm laughing at your entire post because it is silly to think you will get 10k for a pattern and even sillier to use a pattern. This will be done by someone who knows what their doing.

unclebun

i'm laughing at your entire post because it is silly to think you will get 10k for a pattern and even sillier to use a pattern. This will be done by someone who knows what their doing.

How would you do the company logo without a pattern?

Johnny Best

If you can make the company logo big on a paper pattern then you can make it on the roof, no pouncing and messing with paper blowing all over the place, tape and a pounce bag. A good scaled sketch like mentioned and draw it out.
And I do not see the humor in this post except for laughing all the way to the bank for laying it out. Nice work if you can get it.

sinclairgraphics1

Sinclair Graphics & Installations
Everyone's got their opinions, that's just life right? Facts are facts and I'm getting the job and going to do it how I want because it will work. I'll post pics when it's done and you can laugh all you want then.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
Everyone's got their opinions, that's just life right? Facts are facts and I'm getting the job and going to do it how I want because it will work. I'll post pics when it's done and you can laugh all you want then.

sorry you got your butt hurt, also sorry you can't see why it's funny how your going about it.

banners, vinyl patterns, it just a joke that the art of how this should be done is lost because the art of signmaking has fallen into the hands of computer geeks...

unclebun

sorry you got your butt hurt, also sorry you can't see why it's funny how your going about it.

banners, vinyl patterns, it just a joke that the art of how this should be done is lost because the art of signmaking has fallen into the hands of computer geeks...

Just curious how much you would charge for going up with your piece of paper and chalk to grid it out and cut in the outlines. After all, it will only take you a few minutes, right?

Nobody has told how they would mark the grid on the roof membrane, and make sure that it's square, etc. without damaging the roof.

Billct2

"Nobody has told how they would mark the grid on the roof membrane, and make sure that it's square, etc. without damaging the roof."
actually a few people did, and even drew a sketch....it may not take a few minutes, depending on complexity it may take a day or two. Charge accordingly.
And squaring up something on a commercial roof is very simple, and chalk lines and or whatever is used to fill in won't hurt a roof that can take walking on.

unclebun

I guess what I'm saying is I know how to chalk lines, and so on, but you're going to have to make a grid on that 25x150 of what, 5' squares? I've seen it done where you drive a nail in the corner and measure and so on to make the square. But you can't nail on the roof. So how do you get the initial square marked by yourself and know that it's actually square? Or do you just get it close and figure nobody will be able to tell?

ddarlak

Go Bills!
Just curious how much you would charge for going up with your piece of paper and chalk to grid it out and cut in the outlines. After all, it will only take you a few minutes, right?

Nobody has told how they would mark the grid on the roof membrane, and make sure that it's square, etc. without damaging the roof.

without seeing the actual artwork i can guess it would probably be with a few sheets of coroplast, a box of stabilo's, some string, a grid layout that was based on whatever pattern already existed on the roof. i can assume the roof isn't one piece, so i would use the natural lines on the roof incorporated into the artwork to give me scale. it's not rocket science, any signguy should know how do do this.

Anyone who thinks this guy is getting 10k for a pattern is out of their skull

Billct2

2 people, measure off the edge of the roof to get a horizontal and vertical starting point. Create the rectangle border, you can measure corner to corner to make sure it's square if you want to double check. Then snap your grid. Grids size depends on complexity. Then have a large version of the design on a hard panel, again size depending on complexity and cut it up into manageable panels if needed.

We are bidding on a project that will display a client's logo and website, all one color,(black) on a huge flat roof of a brand new building. They client is near the airport so they are proposing this to be approximately 25' tall x 150' wide. It scales pretty close to that. The text alone is over 10' tall. We are bidding on just making the stencil, the roofing contractor is doing the painting as they have a special paint made just for that particular roof substrate. Totally fine by me. Now to the big question, how do we go about applying/making the stencil? I had thought about make it reverse cut out of removable vinyl but it would be a major pain with so much area removed from the vinyl to lay that flat and install it. Also, though about having stencils made out of .020 styrene panels. Or, having a good artist go up there and lay it all out and tape it off. The painters want it ready to go, and just have them roll the paint on. Suggestions and ideas for this? The pricing is difficult on this as well but I'm thinking at least 10k.

In the past I've used the backing from the laminator roll and plotted it out on the plotter. Since it's that big, I would use the pen, not the blade, and cut it out by hand. I'm sure there's a better idea, but if this gets the thought process started towards that idea, that's better than nothing. :p

rknight68

I guess what I'm saying is I know how to chalk lines, and so on, but you're going to have to make a grid on that 25x150 of what, 5' squares? I've seen it done where you drive a nail in the corner and measure and so on to make the square. But you can't nail on the roof. So how do you get the initial square marked by yourself and know that it's actually square? Or do you just get it close and figure nobody will be able to tell?

You can use the 3-4-5 rule to check for a right angle in the corner and layout the grid from there.

BluetailGFX

Journeyman
We are bidding on a project that will display a client's logo and website, all one color,(black) on a huge flat roof of a brand new building. They client is near the airport so they are proposing this to be approximately 25' tall x 150' wide. It scales pretty close to that. The text alone is over 10' tall. We are bidding on just making the stencil, the roofing contractor is doing the painting as they have a special paint made just for that particular roof substrate. Totally fine by me. Now to the big question, how do we go about applying/making the stencil? I had thought about make it reverse cut out of removable vinyl but it would be a major pain with so much area removed from the vinyl to lay that flat and install it. Also, though about having stencils made out of .020 styrene panels. Or, having a good artist go up there and lay it all out and tape it off. The painters want it ready to go, and just have them roll the paint on. Suggestions and ideas for this? The pricing is difficult on this as well but I'm thinking at least 10k.

Just divide and conquer(start cutting).......

Make a Plan AND Label Label Label Label!

Attachments

• ULA screen grab.jpg
    ULA screen grab.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 345