• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Material recommendation for coloring pages needed.

RatherDashing

The counseling office at the school I work for has large coloring pages for students to color. Right now, they are buying them custom from etsy for a crazy dollar amount (30in in size). I can create them in house with our own artwork on my HP Latex 115, but I need to know what material to buy for it. Any recommendations? I run banners, and vinyl that gets used as stickers, and have no experience with actual paper in the machine.

Jay Grooms

Printing, Printing, Printing......
I'd think you'd want to look for a matte art paper - Call your banner supplier and see what they recommend.

BigNate

just have them call Veritiv or Kelly Paper and order a box of parent sheets - many different sized, 23"x35" and 26"x40" are common parent sheet sizes. A white vellum bristol 110# should work for coloring.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I mean for kids to just color on and toss, I'd use butcher paper. Played around printing customized wrapping paper for some bankers last year, prints just fine and holds ink well, it does have a slightly more see through appearance than regular coloring book pages. Reach out to your schools paper supplier and let them know you want something on a roll, matte or satin finish (or no finish at least, gloss does not take kindly to crayons/markers)
For something significantly more resilient, Tex says crayons work wonders on tyvek...
You can put butcher paper in a printer?

2B

We use MATTE banner

It is usually the same or cheaper than paper of the same size

BigNate

"Engineering bond" is what they print "blue-prints" on these days - it is basically 20# bond copier paper, but comes on a roll for the wide format. it should work well, and prints just fine. It will make awesome sheets for coloring.

Kelly paper stocks 24", 30", and 36" rolls that are all 500', they have some 24# engineering that is spec'd for an Oce wide format. I am sure others carry engineering bond - I know I had some from Xpedx before Veritiv bought them. It should load and print just like the vinyl you are used to - just do a calibration as you will not need quite as much ink.

BigNate

engineering bond is very cheap - it has been a couple of years since I purchased the last 2-pack of 36" rolls (500' each). I just looked at Veritiv's website , the 500'x36" rolls are $44.73 each. - that will give you close to 250 sheets of 24"x36" (depending on the waste you have from setup.)

RatherDashing

engineering bond is very cheap - it has been a couple of years since I purchased the last 2-pack of 36" rolls (500' each). I just looked at Veritiv's website , the 500'x36" rolls are $44.73 each. - that will give you close to 250 sheets of 24"x36" (depending on the waste you have from setup.)
Holy cow, that is cheap. This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you.

BigNate

are you picking up or having it delivered? Veritiv has always waived the minimum purchase for us, but it only applies to delivery - there are other suppliers, Kelly Paper/Spicer's Paper would have similar products and pricing.