• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Materials for replacing a decal on an awning

JJGraphics

Hi everyone,

I've been asked to do a project and I could really use some advice on whether or not I'm on the right track for this project.

This customer has a vinyl decal attached to their awning and it's peeling away. I had no part in the original image, so I don't know what it is or what they used. The products I have in stock that I would use for the replacement are:

Oraguard 3165RA
Oraguard 210 gloss laminate over top of it.
Printer: Mimaki cjv30-160 with solvent ink.

Am I on the right track in regards to materials? I'm not going to be the one installing this, just sending it to the customer and installation is up to them.

Any tips for removing the old decal?
Any tips for prep before applying the new one?

Thanks!

IMG_20140503_113727.jpg IMG_20140503_113703.jpg

Biker Scout

Looks like it's fabric. Unless you can heat press something on there, your graphic will end up doing the same thing. There are super High Tack vinyls that will hold out for longer, but ultimately moisture, dirt and expansion will lead to the decal's failure.

JJGraphics

I don't know if it's fabric or vinyl. The customer is remote to me, so I have to ask them questions, then they go back and get me the answers.

I feel comfortable with the idea that short of a heat press, this is a really difficult place to put a graphic, and nothing is going to last a "long time" up there.

Knowing that nothing lasts forever and graphics of this nature can be temporary, would the awning being fabric or vinyl impact which material I use? If so, any recommendations either way?

Thanks again!

Biker Scout

They need to be done by the awning manufacturer at the time of fabrication. (Usually screen printed) I've never seen a patch job ever look good or last long. The ones that really make me cringe are the vinyl polyscrim awnings, that are backlit... and then some yahoo company slaps a square decal over the old logo or name. Looks like crap and even worse at night.

But after some noob failures early in my career thinking I could do this, I just now don't even bother with them. I say call that number on the frame of the awning manufacturer. They'll hook you up.

Direct printing on that sailcloth might be the closest solution I can think of.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If it's any type of fabric, the proper way is to either screen print it, or hand paint it. Screen ink will last a very long time, but up in the air with 3 or 4 colors might be a little too involved. We've been using a good grade of latex paint for these in the last 15 or 20 years. We used to use 1-Shot poster inks, but have switched. Again, up in the air, you must protect against runs. However, any vinyl applique will fail quickly. There is another material out there called fab-tac which isn't bad. It will last maybe 2 or 3 years, but the colors you need will defeat using that stuff, It can't be painted or printed.

Painting should last about 6,7 or more years at least, if done properly.

what the

Owner/op
Insignia Cloth

I was also going to suggest insignia cloth..I used that on an awning 7 years ago and it still looks great. Any form of sticker adhesive will not work; don't do it! I freelance with an awning company and paint there awnings. The only other way to work with graphics on material is paint...Use a fairly stiff brush. Outline a template up there- paint primer on the awning- then use one shot.
Hope this helps,

Christian @ 2CT Media

3M 480Cv3 might work... we use it for our fair clients on their awnings and tents all the time and it holds well, they even take them down and roll them up after every event.

BESTBLANKS

Heat transfer vinyl for banners, umbrellas, tire covers and more

Hi everyone,

I've been asked to do a project and I could really use some advice on whether or not I'm on the right track for this project.

This customer has a vinyl decal attached to their awning and it's peeling away. I had no part in the original image, so I don't know what it is or what they used. The products I have in stock that I would use for the replacement are:

Oraguard 3165RA
Oraguard 210 gloss laminate over top of it.
Printer: Mimaki cjv30-160 with solvent ink.

Am I on the right track in regards to materials? I'm not going to be the one installing this, just sending it to the customer and installation is up to them.

Any tips for removing the old decal?
Any tips for prep before applying the new one?

Thanks!

View attachment 98791 View attachment 98792

Hello, You may want to consider this material for your application.
Please see this link: http://www.bestblanks.com/thermobanner_two.html

ThermoBanner™2 exhibits great durability with a polyester backing for easier weeding. This product is great for awnings, permanent banners, umbrellas, tire covers and flexible truck side coverings. It offers excellent outdoor durability!

Thanks for your post!
www.BestBlanks.com

Biker Scout

Right... so who's going to hold up their 80lb+ heat press to the side of the awning to press this magical thermo vinyl?

Unless you have direct experience with re-stretching a fabric awning over the metal frame, and the entire awning structure installation procedures, heat press vinyl is not an option for most sign shops. It will work, yes. But how awkward will that install be holding up your heat press? Not to mention trying to get it set deep enough, wide enough and over the metal frame when trying to close it.

JJGraphics

It looks like Insignia cloth can't be printed on. If that's the case, how do I get that light grey layer?

Thanks for all the help! You guys are great!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It looks like Insignia cloth can't be printed on. If that's the case, how do I get that light grey layer?

Thanks for all the help! You guys are great!

That was my whole point. You'll have to hand paint it on. Anything less than that is gonna be bad for business.

You could try to re-invent their logo. :smile: Some people call it up-selling... while others would tend to think if ya can't stand the heat.... get outta the kitchen.

Brush Slinger

To me the way the white oxidation rain stains look... I'd say it's a flex face material and not a fabric canvas cover. Clean it well and use a quality cast film 751 or 951. It on a blue ground and doubt it's back lit and if it is.. not a real need for translucent. But the best way to confirm... one way or the other is to go and look... next would be to talk to the maintenance personnel for the building. That's my nickel's worth :wink:.

visual800

peel the existing decal off and put mask up there and repaint what you want. this is what i would do. this awning is not large and there is no since in turning this into a damn awning carnival

your not going to be able to "heatpress" a damn decal on this, its not going to work. the awning is already up and your options are thin. do not turn this into something it is not.

you have 3 options:

1-rip off decal and repaint another
2-take awning down and replace with eradicable or vinyl that will accept vinyl
3-take awning down and replace and apint OR have awning company press a decal down using subnbrella system