• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Math problem....

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I have a logo in the shape of a swoosh that I'm trying to permit. The city says I don't have to use the over all dims and can use only the actual square footage of material occupied in the swoosh. How to I figure out how much square footage area is occupied by this swoosh? I'm using Flexi. If you drew a rectangle at 233x70.75, obviously the swoosh is not using 100% of that space. I need to figure out how much percentage of that space it's using and that should give me the square footage.

swoosh.jpg

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
If you use Illustrator, there is a script (called AreaLength, you'll need to download it and put it into the illustrator folder) that you can use to give you the actually square inches it would occupy, not sure if that would be exactly what you need in this scenario.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
You need to use some derivatives to figure that out.
Or if it's corel, just draw a grid of 1" squares, group them, intersect the shape, then break/ungroup the grid and see how many squares are within the intersection... At 36" tall, it's 578 1" squares or portions of. Divide by 144 for sq/ft, so about 4. I'd do it with those dimensions but I've got too much open in corel to risk that, it hiccuped pretty hard doing this size.

That is interesting. I have to "prove" my measurements and that would be a way to do it... with those little boxes.

Johnny Best

What JBurton suggested with the blocks, Illy does not have a solution unless you add a script.
Boudica has it fiquired out.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Doing it the old fashioned way, you're between 19 and 20 sq ft to be safe. It might be slightly less.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Wait, are you saying illy doesn't have an intersect function? I use that, trim, and weld constantly in Corel.

And I'll admit, Boudica's number is likely better, especially a curve like this will have a great deal of partial squares, possibly robbing tex of valuable real estate on the wall. The grid does have the added potential to prove it to the permitting dept without teaching them how to calculate the area between two curves using functions and limits.
As long as it's under 24 sq. ft. it will work with what I need it for.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I got a script for Illustrator like Zoo said and it worked well. I'm going to call the inspector and see if me sending him the file and script would be OK. My guess is no and then I might fall back on the box thing like JBurton said... that way there is a way for someone to look at it on paper and count the boxes if they so choose.

rossmosh

Any inspector that rejects a computer generated calculation should be challenged.

To calculate this sort of thing requires a ton of brute force math (counting pixels essentially), some pretty high level math (Calculus's primary focus is on area under curves), or a combination of mid-level math and brute force calculations. Basically breaking the shape up and and doing area calculations of the shape.

Either way, it would be absurd not to accept a computer generate calculation.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
hummm notareal, I'll ask the people that do my engineering if there is a way to show this on paper... their drawings always have a bunch of numbers and calculations that make things look official.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Just make a grid to scale. Overlap your vector swoosh and cut the outside away and count the squares with 'Pathfinder'. Inches seems rather small, but according to how precise ya hafta be...... we're doing the square footage of a sign, not making the tactical counter for a time bomb.