• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Matte or Gloss overlaminate for longevity

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Few years ago I switch to mostly using matte overlam because I like the look of it better. I noticed a site-sign I did 2 years ago was dirty and moldy. Is gloss better for longevity or does it not matter?

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Our standard is glossy....we use it for a majority of our work. Luster is a nice option and matte for when a client requests it. It really doesn't matter for longevity except for the overall quality of the lam used.

MNT_Printhead

Working among the Corporate Lizard People
I used matte indoor and out because it doesn't have glare that can made a sign hard to read in the sun or on a show floor with track lighting pointed on it. I had been planning on switch to matte lam for big rig spoiler logos, but am now reconsidering hearing how it wears.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Well, today I drove by a sign I did in gloss and noticed it was starting to get moldy too. I guess some areas are prone to mold more than others. I really prefer matte over gloss now, it doesn't glare outdoors or indoors and doesn't look as cheap.

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
We use matte for everything (except vehicles) unless client requests otherwise. Matte just looks higher quality, and plus it doesn't have any glare on storefront signage.
Only exception is a place where we know it's likely to get scuffed by shoes or need a lot of cleaning, since we personally find the gloss cleans up better.

JamesLam

Well, today I drove by a sign I did in gloss and noticed it was starting to get moldy too. I guess some areas are prone to mold more than others. I really prefer matte over gloss now, it doesn't glare outdoors or indoors and doesn't look as cheap.
What environment are the sings located?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Most of them are in East Texas / NE Louisiana... it's a hot muggy swamp so I guess it's no surprise. I haven't noticed it on building signs, just site signs.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
It's not growing in between the two materials... it's on the surface. It can be cleaned away... this sign is just under 2 years old. Most signs don't look this bad after such a short time and I was thinking if it was because of the matte.

20210910_111808.jpg

JamesLam

Just grime, that's interesting. Assuming standard durability it should be washable but who has time for that?

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I get that here too but not that bad. It will wipe off and appears to be mold of some sort. Maybe its worse on matte?