• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Matthews Paint Systems

Victorian Signs

Anyone out here ,use Matthews Paint in there shop, if so do you like it more so than automotive brand,or 1-shot.etc, they say you can match up PMS colors, and vinyls really esay...........:thankyou:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We've had many things painted with Matthews, but we don't have an in-house system. I've heard it's somewhat expensive to set up and once you have it, it better be running quite a bit to pay for itself and not get too gummed up.

I think you're somewhere around State College..... possibly you could set up and farm out to others that might need your services. I know of three shops within a 30 mile radius of us that useD it. All three are out of business today. Not because of the paint system, but they were rather large shops and had too much overhead because of their versatility and couldn't keep their doors open and make profit. Sometimes one can over 'Technogize'.

Mosh

Great paint. We use it. You have to use Mathewws reducers and thinners. The stuff last outdoors like none other, and YES can be PMS matched. But it is like $85 for a color matched quart so keep that in mind.

We don't use that much of it, like a quart or two a month, if that.

Last edited:

CanuckSigns

I used to work at a shop that had the whole setup, all the different colours on a "mixing rack" a computer that told you how much to mix to get a certain colour. Very cool and very useful. The paint itself was very good and lasted longer than anything we used before.

Their primer for MDF is terrible though, our Matthews rep even said so himself!

J Hill Designs

we use matthews on occasion here - mostly the satin VOC map - GREAT paint, smells BAD, but has EXCELLENT chemical/corrosion resistance...you can even spray it ON vinyl with a special primer they make, to match sheen/color perfectly with the rest of the sign

CES020

It's $2,500 for the satin setup, the mixing station is free until you don't use it and then it belongs to them again. They will train you heavily on it's use, you can log into their website, enter colors and it'll spit out the formula for it. If you want the gloss setup, I think it'll add about another $2,500 on it.

So $2,500 will get you started with either gloss or satin, about $5,000 roughly for both.

Paint dries harder than any paint I have ever seen.

astro8

This is what I've been looking for over here. We're matching pms and spraying everyday. I can colour match and mix by eye but a system like this would be great.

CES020

Akzo Nobel makes very similar products. That might be an option for you as well. They also have the mixing station available.

astro8

Akzo Nobel makes very similar products. That might be an option for you as well. They also have the mixing station available.
Thanks, I'll look into that.

added..I think I'll save $$ and time. I send stuff out to be colour matched and have to remix it anyway as it's never spot on....also end up mixing twice as much as you need on hard to hit colours. We get a lot of stuff spec'd in Pantone and RAL. Matching 3M vinyls would be great as we do a lot of reception/foyer signage with profile cut acrylic lettering and logos, with cut vinyl as well, so usually I'm matching paint to vinyl or printed Pantones off the GS6000. Yep, I'm gonna get me one of these somewhere.

Last edited:

crollyson

I would be more then happy to send some information on the Matthews paint line. Just attach an address to the post.

wonsngis

We had a matthews system installed a few months back. It has been well worth it. We were using automotive grade paints for our exterior cabinets and channel letters. Now we have the ability to mix everything on-site instead of going out to have pantones matched and the paint quality is first rate.

Anyone out here ,use Matthews Paint in there shop, if so do you like it more so than automotive brand,or 1-shot.etc, they say you can match up PMS colors, and vinyls really esay...........:thankyou:

Hi, our company distributes Matthews in Canada, so I thought I'd chime in. Matthews has over 65,000 colour formulas available, including all pantone colours, 3M vinyls (many Avery, Mactac, Oracal as well) and a long list of corporate spec'd colours. Up here, we offer the paint a la carte (mixed in either quarts or gallons) or we can install a station, including scale, software, training, etc. There is certainly a cost for the initial inventory (you'll have to negotiate that with your local distributor!), but the opportunity for savings exists. With your own station, you can mix as much or as little paint as you like, thus controlling your costs. Colours reproduce very accurately in small quantities (i.e., 1/10th of a pint). Frankly, if you don't use enough paint to move through the inventory in a year (16 bases), then you probably wouldn't qualify for a station anyway.

Take this comment for what it's worth, considering the source :Big Laugh. Akzo makes a very good product, but it is an automotive line relabelled for the sign industry. Their colour matches are geared towards automotive standards, and not signage/architectural specs. They also do not match the production speed or range of applications available with Matthews.

IMHO, of course!

And Astro8, if you can't find someone down under to supply the product, I'd be happy to discuss opening our Australian branch with my boss :Canada 2:

I got my mixing station about year ago. You buy their paint and they will give you mixing station and all the supplies for free. My out of pocket cost was about $2300.
I am using satin for all my signs. I do have some gloss clear just in case. Minimum I can mix is a pint. After adding reducer and hardened you end up with $35-45 for quart of custom color.
You do have to have a spray booth, it is there requirement. I like my lungs too:smile:.
P.S. They offer free 2 day hands-on training.