• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Maybe real business advice

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I know people don't like giving cell numbers out, but I think its giving me an advantage in getting business. When someone calls I've started to ask them to TEXT me such and such (like a picture or address) instead of emailing, and usually we just end up communicating that way. I think that has been helping win some bids because the last two orders I got they thanked me for the prompt responses. I assume they are getting bids from the bigs in town and they can take days to email back. Knowing they can shoot me a text and get a response makes them feel better about going with us. I know when I'm subbing out work and dealing with other sign companies, I definitely gravitate towards people that respond in a timely matter.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The only problem with that is..... you no longer have business hours. You are at their beckon call...... literally.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
The only problem with that is..... you no longer have business hours. You are at their beckon call...... literally.
You would think, but most people understand business hours and don't text or call outside of them. I choose when to respond if texts come outside those hours.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I prefer emails to keep things straight. I dont mind texting random things but it doesnt seem to build a strong loyal relationship like face to face and phone conversations.

ikarasu

The way I see it.. 99% of the businesses we deal with are a 9-5 business as well. If they're there at 8 pm maybe whatever they need is a rush and having my cell number jumps me to the front of the queue to produce the decal / signs / whatever.

That said... I have my work email on my phone as well. I answer it if I'm at home or out at the store or anywhere else... Never hesitated to give out my #.

I never pickup if it's a # I don't know though.... I'll wait to get the voice mail find out who it is.... Add then to.my address book and give a call back. Most of my clients know I prefer text over voice.... I can't give prices in real time or look back at a price I've given if it was over voice.... So text is the way to go.

I get maybe 2-3 after hour texts a month. I think only once Ive had to tell someone I couldn't discuss it until business hours and to give a call in the morning.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I always give a price verbally first this way you can get immediate feedback from voice inflection. Its much easier to close it this way and then make the written quote a formality. I always liked to be the last quote in so on that phone call, you could usually get last look and also close the deal right then. People have a harder time saying no in person or on the phone than they do by ignoring a text or email.

Bradley Signs

Bradley Signs
We use both. Texting gets it started, the email is for files and images. Been doing it that way for the last four years or so. No one comes to the shop, we see no one.
We do installations and never see any one, or mail out items and never see anyone.
We get a lot done without the constant interruptions of a phone call.
Oh, we do call someone to inform them of something that may be wrong with spelling or names or whatever, but that is rare anymore.

ABA Visibility Products

Premium Subscriber
Our business numbers (used to be called landlines) are all textable. This way you're not handing out a cell phone number and can limit client access to the business hours. Our setup includes both an app as well as a web interface for us to receive, respond to and generate texts. It is all connected to our phone system software. Very simple and very effective.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Our business numbers (used to be called landlines) are all textable. This way you're not handing out a cell phone number and can limit client access to the business hours. Our setup includes both an app as well as a web interface for us to receive, respond to and generate texts. It is all connected to our phone system software. Very simple and very effective.

Mine is the same way, Its all on the business number. I usually text from a computer screen just as easy as if it was email. Its a separate app on my phone.

rydods

Member for quite some time.
Texting has been very useful in a lot of ways. I've made more mistakes and mix-ups with phone calls and in some cases, especially when my hands are tied, I ask that they also email or text what we've discussed on the phone. There's just no visual information and then we end up with the "I thought I mentioned that when I called" miscommunication. Not to mention, most of the customers that prefer calling...I swear they just like listening to themselves talk.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I do a lot of texting or FB messaging. Small businesses and younger people especially appreciate the option. There's many customers I've never met in person, only via text or messenger. Text often gets the process started and we proceed with emails for files and proofing. I also choose when I respond after business hours. I get a fair amount of texts after hours but I usually don't respond until I'm back at the shop or if I respond I don't open their last text so I don't forget about it LOL I really like the fact that the entire conversation is recorded and I have notes of everything said. Some people only like to stop in and talk in person and prefer to stop in to check proofs, I'm fine with that also!

It's great to have a variety of options although it can get overwhelming some days with so many different platforms to check!

karst41

In this day and time Poor Communication has no place in any business.
My clients can call me day or night, and when the calls come late it is
a true Emergency.

FEMA decals for trailers loaded with critical supplies due to Katrina.
Closed signs because there was a mass shooting.
CoVid 19. and the list goes on.

I get calls at 9:00 at night and I know something has happened.
All the sign shops in Atlanta are closed.

It is a Duty and an Honor to make and donate.

My clients are respectful after 7 pm and yours will be too.

Cheers

CanuckSigns

I don't hand out my cell number, I've had a few clients abuse it by calling or texting me at 5 pm on a Sunday to " just get an update on my order I placed on Friday afternoon"

JetPress

I noticed we had an increase of text orders since we implement that. I think many of our clients just prefer to do that instead of them having to call or email. It makes it easier for us since we just copy the specifications and look back to the messages in case there is any details we may have missed. Since its not anybody's personal number we don't have to worry about after hour calls.

Andy D

Speaking of texting, is there a third party text app for android that someone can recommend?
The app that came with the phone leaves a lot to be desired.
I have family members who include me on group text, and my stupid app won't allow me to opt out, so my texts blows up and I end up missing texts from customers.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
In this day and time Poor Communication has no place in any business.
My clients can call me day or night, and when the calls come late it is
a true Emergency.

FEMA decals for trailers loaded with critical supplies due to Katrina.
Closed signs because there was a mass shooting.
CoVid 19. and the list goes on.
I get calls at 9:00 at night and I know something has happened.
All the sign shops in Atlanta are closed.
It is a Duty and an Honor to make and donate.
My clients are respectful after 7 pm and yours will be too.
Cheers

That's all fine and dandy. If your business model needs that, then by all means do it. I didn't say it was wrong, but I know for a fact through personal and many friends in all kindsa businesses, this happens and it is grossly abused. I got a call about 8:30, just Friday night, from a regular customer. When I asked him why he was calling for an update at this time, he said, Oh, sorry, I lost track what time it was. Did it bother me ?? Not really, but had I been doing something important on my own time, it would've. Had a call this morning about 5:30am. She wanted to know if I found her purse on the counter yesterday ?? Nope, we aren't open on Sundays. You weren't at our place. She yelled at me and hung up on me. Wha........?? my fault she's an imbecile ??

If you are desperate and wanna be on call 24/7 be my guest. Here's where old school is a much better idea, than being everyone's lacky.​

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Speaking of texting, is there a third party text app for android that someone can recommend?
The app that came with the phone leaves a lot to be desired.
I have family members who include me on group text, and my stupid app won't allow me to opt out, so my texts blows up and I end up missing texts from customers.

I don't think you can opt out. I've made some enemies telling people to stop with the group texts..