• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Maybe stupid question about vinyl and lam

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
This might come off as a really foolish question, but here goes.

We've got a few white decals to do for a vehicle, and we've got some Avery MPI1105 hanging around the shop that's just the right size.

We're having a shop disagreement - I think that it needs to be laminated because, even though there's no ink, it's awfully thin and 1105 is intended for lam before install. The other party posits that, since there's no ink and it's gonna be masked anyway, lam is a waste.

And because I think it would need to be laminated, I feel like it would be just cheaper to just order a yard of 900sc ez rs or something.

Thoughts?

unclebun

If you're just cutting letters/shapes out of it, treat it like any other high performance vinyl. It will need application tape for handling.

If you're making large sheets of white vinyl to cover things, then laminate makes it so you can handle it and apply it more easily.

MikePro

i've wrapped plenty of car doors for squad cars with unlaminated printable white wrap media. its just a pita how delicate it becomes to manipulate, by comparison to a thicker laminated print, but in terms of longevity there's no issue. laminate would just make it more resistant to scratching-through the vinyl.

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
i've wrapped plenty of car doors for squad cars with unlaminated printable white wrap media. its just a pita how delicate it becomes to manipulate, by comparison to a thicker laminated print, but in terms of longevity there's no issue. laminate would just make it more resistant to scratching-through the vinyl.
Yes, we've had jobs where they've sent us unlammed IJ180 to wrap a door and it was just awful, hence why we were hesitant.