• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

MDO alternative

Billct2

I was thinking about the thread asking about finishing MDO and the general consensus was to use something else. For square/rectangle shapes there are lots of alternatives, but when a sign has to have a custom shape it's not as easy. The problem I have is that for larger signs, ACM is too thin, PVC has issues with warping in the heat (especially dark colors) and breaking in freezing weather and HDU is pricey. We have bonded acm to create thicker
panels but sometimes we want something even thicker. So I was wondering, has anyone bonded 3mm acm to 1/2" pvc? If you have what did you use? It may be a nice way to creat a thick panel, that is even pre-finished.

Billct2

That makes sense, I've used the 3M to bond metal laminate to pvc or gator, but those were interior jobs.

Billct2

10mm ACM? That's plenty sturdy. But I miss signs that were 3/4" + thick. Especially if it's a hanging sign or between posts. That chunky profile looks good. That's why i was thinking 1/2" or even 3/4" PVC with dibond faces would be nice. I'm surprised someone isn't making something like that, at least I haven't seen it. We used some of the aluminum faced plywood back when it first came out and it was pretty good. Then we had some major failures something had changed so we dropped that.

Johnny Best

West system Six10, you can use a standard chulking gun and it mixes in the applicator tube that comes with it. ACM holds really good to the PVC.

Billct2

I don't trust luster board, had some failures. We've used the ones with coro cores but it's a pin to fill the edges to make it look smooth