• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Mdo For Project

malonso

I need help with a current project I'm working on. My customer wants his sign to be 10' wide x 6' high. I reached out to Harbor and the widest they go is 5' wide. Does anybody have any suggestions on who I could use to get a panel that big? I have the option of using Foamcraft but to keep costs down I'd like to use MDO for my client. Thanks!

sagesign

The supplier I use, Wensco, can get and sometimes has in stock Alupanel ACM at 6'6" x 10', but it's only 3mm thick. So it is a product that is available if you can find a local vendor for it.

malonso

What kind of project is it? temporary or permanent.
It's permanent. He wants something like the attached picture.

Attachments

• 1703DEgen-p01_Hero_Image.jpg
    1703DEgen-p01_Hero_Image.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 253

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you wanna use MDO, I think the largest normally is 4' x 10' I've heard of some people carrying 5' x 10', but that's rare. You'll hafta either piece it together or go to polycarb.

If you go with 4' x 10', that just one seam down the middle, per sign. Certainly that will work for most applications.

malonso

If you wanna use MDO, I think the largest normally is 4' x 10' I've heard of some people carrying 5' x 10', but that's rare. You'll hafta either piece it together or go to polycarb.

If you go with 4' x 10', that just one seam down the middle, per sign. Certainly that will work for most applications.

Thank you!!!

henryz

You can do 2 sheets of MDO and overlay a 6' x 10' sheet of ACM not only will you not have a seem but it will be a finished face. We would use a 6' x 10' x .125 aluminum sheet and weld or glue a frame to the back along with your posts.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Going that way is gonna add quite a bit of cost just to get rid of a seam, that probably won't be seen from 20 feet away, anyhow. It's also gonna make it a little heavy (ugh) and tough to transport. :peace!:

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
You can do 2 sheets of MDO and overlay a 6' x 10' sheet of ACM not only will you not have a seem but it will be a finished face. We would use a 6' x 10' x .125 aluminum sheet and weld or glue a frame to the back along with your posts.

This is how I would design it...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, you wanna make a 72" x 120" sign using expensive MDO and then attach 3mm aluminum ACM to both sides to do away with a seam. Why not just start out with regular plywood and try to save some costs ?? Also, the largest I can find is 66", not 72". Over the years, we've used quite a bit of 66" x 151", but never 72". Are you sure of those measurements ??

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
To the OP...
I assume you work for a sign company with aluminum fabrication and finishing capabilities. If so, MDO face would not be my go to substrate on a permanent sign sitting on the ground.