• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

MDO Price Hike

zspace

Premium Subscriber
I received a note from one of my suppliers that MDO prices will increase by as much as 17% on November 1st. I’m considering ways to approach this with customers without sending them on a shopping trip with competitors.

Anyone have thoughts?

MikePro

so a $40 sheet is going up by $5?
I'd be more worried about the price increases if Biden wins.

Just quote it. You should be upcharging your costs of materials anyways, so existing quotes should still make you money but new ones should reflect the price increase. If your clients are out shopping MDO signs, and competitors undercut you then its on them to price themselves into debt.
However, if you want to "spread the word" to your clients about the price increase.... maybe offer it as a "discount oreo-cookie". By that I mean, you pad the bad-news, with two layers of good-news.... 1) "got a great deal for you" 2) "our supplier has increased costs of our product by $20" 3) "to offset this, we are discounting our setup/design costs by $21".

....and make sure to throw in an "underbody coating" free of charge, of course.
(and then when they ask you what that is, you reach into your desk drawer and pull out a stick of deoderant... and then apply to your armpits while not breaking eye contact)

Yeahgor

Born to be The Designer.
...(and then when they ask you what that is, you reach into your desk drawer and pull out a stick of deoderant... and then apply to your armpits while not breaking eye contact)

Oh man, from early morning... no way! :) (LOL)

So a $100 sheet of 1/2" painted MDO goes up 17%. Even if you do as much as a 100% markup on substrates, the cost of a 4' x 8' sign goes up $34. I really don't see the issue. And besides, how many MDO signs do you do? MDO makes up maybe 3% of the signs we put out. It might be different for you, but I still don't see a $34 price increase on a 4' x 8' sign being anything to worry about.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
All wood-based products have gone through the roof. Look at a 2x4x8 at your local box store. they are up over 70%.

ikarasu

It's almost as if putting a tariff on your #1 source of lumber raises cost for general consumers and is a hidden tax hike on the US population!

Jk. Not sure if the tarrifs on your most trusted ally are even for this type of wood! (And this isn't a dig at trump... I believe every US president has tried to tarrifs softwood from Canada)

As other have mentioned though... Just jack up your price.

What do you guys pay for mdo? We buy a 4x8 double smooth sheet for $55 Canadian($42 usd) a hike sucks... But you should be able to eat the cost without even batting an eye. Which means the customer shouldn't as well.

Joe House

Early in my career selling sign supplies I had a loyal customer, who I had to give the bad news that the price of his transformers had gone up since he last purchased them. He just smiled at me and said "I don't mind when prices go up. I just mark them up the same percentage and I end up making more money"
Prices on everything are going up. Mark it up and move on. The extra 15$ you make on this job will help pay for the price hike in dining out. It all goes around and comes back around.