• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Me & my mutoh are freaking out

tsgstl

It just sux I spent all this $ so far and haven't got anywhere
He hasn't said main board but how far can I go

FatCat

Sorry to be late to the party. FWIW - I had something similar going on with my 1204 a few months ago. Turned out to be the sensor that reads the encoder.

I know you said you cleaned the encoder sensor, but did you actually look at it? The clear lens over the sensor eye on mine had developed a cloudy appearance and that was what was causing my problems. Not that it wasn't clean, just couldn't see clearly past the cloudy lens cover.

Might not be your issue, but it's certainly worth 10 minutes to check.

tsgstl

Sorry to be late to the party. FWIW - I had something similar going on with my 1204 a few months ago. Turned out to be the sensor that reads the encoder.

I know you said you cleaned the encoder sensor, but did you actually look at it? The clear lens over the sensor eye on mine had developed a cloudy appearance and that was what was causing my problems. Not that it wasn't clean, just couldn't see clearly past the cloudy lens cover.

we will check it, thanks I appreciate any advice

tsgstl

not sure how you could even see it? We disconnected it and cleaned it (he didn't clean it yet I thought he did)

it started misreading black cartridge and then wouldn't power down and then wouldn't turn on. Its sitting for a few minutes now.

edit: he is leaning towards a new head because the black isn't firing 100% but I don't think that's it. I got 100% cmy ready to print when it comes back on to see if it still shifts

HulkSmash

you should consider a new printer that doesn't have the name value in it. I use to run one of those, and they're complete junk.

tsgstl

First it said K not original ink
Then Y then M then C
Now they all are not recognized????

He basically through in the towel. He said we could get a new main board and or a print head but he can't guarantee that will fix it. And his conversations with Mutoh sound the same. Mutoh has a trade-in program on a 1324 that would get me at about $12,000. I really don't want to spend any more than that and my head is spinning. We have had a great spring and this is going to hurt a lot. I have really like the quality of the Mutoh and after seeing the inside of this one I can see some of the blame needs to be on me. It is completely filthy.

you should consider a new printer that doesn't have the name value in it. I use to run one of those, and they're complete junk.

although I have no room whatsoever to say anything right now, it has been a great printer with not one single problem besides this one that has got worse and worse. The quality I got from it was better after 5 years than most I have seen from other printers. I don't think I would say they are complete junk. But I am in no way sticking up for Mutoh here, its only 5 years old and it looks like its life is over.

tsgstl

I have a back up printer for this reason.

Mutoh's trade in program is just to send the main board in, so.... I think thats what I'm going to do. Buy a new one and replace my main board anyway. If that doesn't work then I will replace the head

I have been looking at printers since he left and I have heard bad things about every brand.

The cool thing is that the tech is lending me there demo model to get caught up on things. They will waive all service fee's if we buy from them and he is trying to return the motor and a few other parts. I'm stil out about $1000 for trying to fix this one. He said it was the first one he couldn't fix. Turns out he was a friend of a friend so he is doing whatever he can to help me out.

Bigcat_hunter

I had a motherboard go bad on a 1204 and realized I can't be shut down for more then a couple of days. It took a few weeks to get the board replaced. I purchased a new printer/cutter/computer/software to get through that few weeks. I am really glad I did. It has been a big investment but really speeds up production time. Plus I have a back up incase anything goes south again.

Good luck hope everything gets up and running soon.

tsgstl

I think I'm going to fix it.
It's got to be the main board.
And if not and I replace the head too then there really is nothing left to change. I would be paying three times that amount for a 6" bigger shell.
Save my money now and get something I'd rather have.

Thanks again for all the advice

Dave1417

In my 20 years and many printers bought I would tell you any vender that would give you a loaner refund service money and bend over backwards like this guy .. Would be the place I spend my money... I just bought HP L26500 laytex 9 months ago and we love it everything is made to be replaced with ease inks heads cleaning station and pump.. I have learned any printer that is used needs to be maintained and repaired key is to find one you can repair and maintain yourself and this Hp does it 3 employees and they all use it .... Not to mention it is very green no odor etc. oh and comes with take up real that is great

tsgstl

This comment might have saved me $5000 or more if I decided to just buy a new machine

I am being optimistic, but it might actually be the cause. Since last week we have been printing 14 hours a day on the loaner to get back caught up. I was convinced it was the main board because of it blowing all ink cards. And the tech was convinced it was a printhead because we had a few missing black. I didn't want to risk blowing more ink cartridges if it was the main board til I got caught up. So this morning I popped in the used cartridges I have been using (all under 50%) and sure enough my Mutoh fired right up. The test I wanted to do to convince the tech it wasn't the black was to print (in cmyk) 100% Y C M and watch it still shift. So I printed it and guess what?? Straight as an arrow with no shifting whatsoever. We cleaned the sensor right before we lost all cartridges so we never got to test it after the cleaning.

The head wasn't sitting on the station for some reason so my prints are still a little spotty, but I am soaking the heads now and will do a flush to clear that up. I should know in about a hour but I really think it might be fixed. We were going to order a new head and main board today to get over this issue once and for all.

if it is the case and I am good, and I ever make it to Ohio I owe you some beverages and a hug haha

my 1614 was doing the same thing and i changed the encoder strip after cleaning and re aligning a few times with no luck so i took off the back cover in the center so i could get to the encoder censor located on the top center of the head and like fat cat said i cleaned it real well did a few endurance test and she has ran like a dream with no problems since. I was shocked at how much overspray came off the censor i would try it atleast before you jump at a mother board and if you have trouble with it reading once you clean it good make sure its in there good you have to have patients with that whole encoder system the censor the encoder it all they are tons of variables there.