• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

media comp grey lines not straight?

Kinkajou

Today my client encountered (again!) a problem of misalignment of the cuts for screw holes. I sincerely don't know what to do. Every week I make prints for 4 type of electric scooter boards: xiaomi PRO, xiaomi STANDARD, G30 MAX and G30 LE.
Xiaomi PRO prints and cuts are ALWAYS perfect wether I laminate with no heat, with heat or whatever. The other boards keep giving me a headache. Last week the prints for xiaomi STANDARD were perfect. Cut holes matched perfectly. This week they are a mess along with G30 MAX (which holes have been modified according to measurement by eye...). I begged my client to have me do the holes by hand with a cutter, but he still doesn't want to rely on this manual operation. Now he's giving me 3 sample acrylic boards with precutted holes for screws to test my prints... but I guess this (w)hole madness will never end.

Today my client encountered (again!) a problem of misalignment of the cuts for screw holes. I sincerely don't know what to do. Every week I make prints for 4 type of electric scooter boards: xiaomi PRO, xiaomi STANDARD, G30 MAX and G30 LE.
Xiaomi PRO prints and cuts are ALWAYS perfect wether I laminate with no heat, with heat or whatever. The other boards keep giving me a headache. Last week the prints for xiaomi STANDARD were perfect. Cut holes matched perfectly. This week they are a mess along with G30 MAX (which holes have been modified according to measurement by eye...). I begged my client to have me do the holes by hand with a cutter, but he still doesn't want to rely on this manual operation. Now he's giving me 3 sample acrylic boards with precutted holes for screws to test my prints... but I guess this (w)hole madness will never end.
Ask your client for the acrylic template for each scooter board. Use a cast vinyl so it will not shrink, calendered vinyl will shrink up to .25". Make an art cut file for each scooter board style and run a test print. It may take a few tries but at least you have the real Mccoy template from your client. We once had a customer that used to come to us for face plate prints for electronic equipment, luckily it wasn't that often.

Kinkajou

Ask your client for the acrylic template for each scooter board. Use a cast vinyl so it will not shrink, calendered vinyl will shrink up to .25". Make an art cut file for each scooter board style and run a test print. It may take a few tries but at least you have the real Mccoy template from your client. We once had a customer that used to come to us for face plate prints for electronic equipment, luckily it wasn't that often.
The real problem here is that my plotter prints up to 2 mm shorter OR 5 mm larger (always in the Y axis) whichever file the RIP software (rasterlink6) send to it. It can be small labels (outer box was printed 1 mm shorter BUT every label indise it kept the correct size) to 100 cm x 80 cm print that comes out 100 cm x 80.5 for no reason. I'm thinking about a RIP problem at this point... It's like it is messing up with proportions despite I'm checking the "keep proportion" box and set the scale to 100%.

EDIT: I've upgraded RasterLink6 to RasterLink6Plus. Now I'm upgrading RL6Plus to RasterLink7 for free. Hope to see some improvement...

EDIT #2: I got RasterLink7. Nope, still printing 1mm shorter.

Last edited:
The real problem here is that my plotter prints up to 2 mm shorter OR 5 mm larger (always in the Y axis) whichever file the RIP software (rasterlink6) send to it. It can be small labels (outer box was printed 1 mm shorter BUT every label indise it kept the correct size) to 100 cm x 80 cm print that comes out 100 cm x 80.5 for no reason. I'm thinking about a RIP problem at this point... It's like it is messing up with proportions despite I'm checking the "keep proportion" box and set the scale to 100%.

EDIT: I've upgraded RasterLink6 to RasterLink6Plus. Now I'm upgrading RL6Plus to RasterLink7 for free. Hope to see some improvement...

EDIT #2: I got RasterLink7. Nope, still printing 1mm shorter.
did you try unchecking "keep proportion"?

Kinkajou

did you try unchecking "keep proportion"?
Yup. I always printed with that check off. I started checking it hoping for better accuracy.
Anyway... a little update. After 2 days of tests, I found a solution in changing the pressure of pinch rollers from Light to Medium. That 1mm discrepancy is gone. So it was "JUST" a media slipping problem all this time?

5 pinch rollers out of 7 are set like this: M_MMM

Yup. I always printed with that check off. I started checking it hoping for better accuracy.
Anyway... a little update. After 2 days of tests, I found a solution in changing the pressure of pinch rollers from Light to Medium. That 1mm discrepancy is gone. So it was "JUST" a media slipping problem all this time?

5 pinch rollers out of 7 are set like this: M_MMM
oh wow, glad you found the culprit. Yep, live and learn, we should have ordered our plotter with more pinch rollers. Also, I think from time to time, they should be cleaned. That reminds me I need to do that...

Kinkajou

oh wow, glad you found the culprit. Yep, live and learn, we should have ordered our plotter with more pinch rollers. Also, I think from time to time, they should be cleaned. That reminds me I need to do that...
I found the culprit... for now! But for today I call it quit and go home victorious.
Yeah, never underestimate pinch rollers! Thank you for your replies :)