• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Media for stencilled decal

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I started reading this thread because I thought it was a question about stencils. I get asked about them from time to time... I hoped there was some insight regarding what substrate people make them from. Now I see that it's a question about decals. :confused:

So, does anyone out there make re-usable stencils and what substrate would you plot them from?

Last edited:

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I hand cut some for use in the shop out of magnetic sheet and put styrene around it as a spray shield. It's easier to position when the whole thing isn't magnetic.

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
Re: OP's post, a small image like that on a back window can by made with a cheap cut vinyl. When making the cut lines for it, try not to go too small or too complex or it won't weed nicely. My first tiny letters weren't so long ago; I wish someone had told me then to drop the heat on the Roland before cutting, it would've made life easier. And sometimes we round the corners on the cut lines just slightly, so the plotter flies over them extra smooth. Not necessary, but an option.

Re: Stencils, we did a few stencils from styrene, or if they're a one-time decal, just low tac vinyl (ie, someone wanted numbers painted on their shuffleboard space).

Stacey K

I like making signs
How do you make a basic vinyl decals and apply them with no trasfer tape? I assume you have experience making "stickers" and not decals, correct?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 228

Val47

I think Stacy is correct. I think maybe the op is new to the contour cut scene. He's done "decals" that are adhesive vinyl, (squares and rectangles) but not detailed enough for actual plotting? Hey OP - once you get this down, try the perf (flexy) cut scene - it's a tough one. The sellers of the plotters will make it look seamless. Not true. Case in point - a $7,000 investment that doesn't do all it claims (Roland GR ). I hope you find help. good luck.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I started reading this thread because I thought it was a question about stencils. I get asked about them from time to time... I hoped there was some insight regarding what substrate people make them from. Now I see that it's a question about decals. :confused:

So, does anyone out there make re-usable stencils and what substrate would you plot them from?
https://www.kapco.com/cms/bd807d4158006edf/index.html this stuff works great!

RaymondLoewy

Pretty fly for a Sign Guy

Depends on how long you are going to want to use them and the material you will be painting of spraying on them. If you are talking about street paint you need .060 LDPE ant the minimum.

BigNate

Depends on how long you are going to want to use them and the material you will be painting of spraying on them. If you are talking about street paint you need .060 LDPE ant the minimum.
for our own parking lot I had good luck simply plotting through the backer on some Sizer Easy Weed we had sitting around... jut set the blade to all but go through the backer - very close, but not into the cut strip. For stall numbers as well as a few "Print Shop Only" this worked very well with asphalt paint rattle cans. (most of the stencils were used at least twice with some 4 of 5 times - and they are still on a back shelf in-case they are needed again.)

Anastasi55

I think Stacy is correct. I think maybe the op is new to the contour cut scene. He's done "decals" that are adhesive vinyl, (squares and rectangles) but not detailed enough for actual plotting? Hey OP - once you get this down, try the perf (flexy) cut scene - it's a tough one. The sellers of the plotters will make it look seamless. Not true. Case in point - a $7,000 investment that doesn't do all it claims (Roland GR ). I hope you find help. good luck.
I've done complex shapes that go around our various product logos - but this was the first time a salesman asked me for the plain white shapes.

bigkahuna_305

this cant be a real question can it? lmao you say you do Signs, decals but dont know these are transfer decals with transfer tape? not trying to be rude but what decals do you do now?

Joseph44708

I Drink And I Know Things
Print the design on your Epson printer or use colored vinyl and print with No Color just crop marks.
Kiss cut the design on your Graphtec cutter, Weed it, then transfer tape it.
Done.

Anastasi55

this cant be a real question can it? lmao you say you do Signs, decals but dont know these are transfer decals with transfer tape? not trying to be rude but what decals do you do now?
Ummm... no I didn't... And yes, you're being rude... I do shaped decals on adhesive vinyl.

Again, I'm sorry I don't have encyclopedic knowledge of every type of print media. Next time, I won't bother to educate myself if I'm called a moron for it..

Anastasi55

Print the design on your Epson printer or use colored vinyl and print with No Color just crop marks.
Kiss cut the design on your Graphtec cutter, Weed it, then transfer tape it.
Done.
That seems to be a simple enough process - but, of course, I haven't had any follow-up from this salesman about his request...

Lindsey

Not A New Member
One of my salesmen is looking to have decals like the attached made. I understand that all I need to do is create a cut file, but what media do I use? He says he's seen decals like this that have a second liner that holds the decal together and is then removed when its applied.
Use white cast vinyl. Cut it. Weed it. Then apply a "pre-mask" or "transfer tape" over top. The transfer tape lets the person installing it to release the decal off of the liner paper in one piece, and "transfer" it to their vehicle, once the decal is applied you remove the transfer paper.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I can't believe this went on almost a year ago and I never got a chance to participate. I always miss out on the good ones. I also see it took that long for the OP to muster up a comeback.