• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

merge large quantity of names to 1 artwork; Ai/Omega 6

TSC1985

Hello,

We need to merge a large quantity of names from excel onto one artwork file, think of a donor wall. Anyone have a how-to or any tips and tricks for how to merge 400+ names to (1) file?? We use AI and Omega as our design software.

bannertime

Hmm. You could possibly use the Area Type tool in Illustrator and copy and paste it. Area Type can make columns and rows.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I also run Omega and have totally given up on Composer's merge feature. I use SignLab to do our stencils for donor bricks, and with a few clicks of a mouse I can literally have thousands of customized layouts instantly on the screen merged from Excel or a tab delimited text file.

I've yet to figure out why software companies are not incorporating the "best of" features into their own products...so I guess that's why I continue to run Omega, SignLab, Adobe Illustrator, CorelDraw, PhotoShop, and AutoCAD. I'm still waiting for a single program that combines the top-gun strengths of each but it won't ever happen.

Your best bet might be to have somebody set it up in SL and export it to file you can use for your application.

JB

Last edited:
It's called data merge InDesign, spend 10 minutes on YouTube and 2 minutes creating your files in InDesign

RICHARD SIMMONS

I you use Roland Versa Works, there is a tab where you can do it.
Check it out here:

Attachments

• upload_2020-5-2_9-16-41.png
    upload_2020-5-2_9-16-41.png
    287.8 KB · Views: 196

bannertime

I'm not sure how Variable Data would work for OP. How would you set it up to take all that data and put it onto one panel or even a handful of panels? In my mind I'm picturing OP describing something more like a wall of names and not individual signs on a wall. I don't go much further than the most basic variable data use cases so I'm curious how it'd be used in this purpose.

TSC1985

I'm not sure how Variable Data would work for OP. How would you set it up to take all that data and put it onto one panel or even a handful of panels? In my mind I'm picturing OP describing something more like a wall of names and not individual signs on a wall. I don't go much further than the most basic variable data use cases so I'm curious how it'd be used in this purpose.

Yes this, I am looking for 400+ names on (1) sign not one name on (400) signs. Although these responses have been great learning tools for that kind of data merge.

Christian @ 2CT Media

You can do the same thing with variables and data merge, you just have to set your spreadsheet data up as columns (instead of rows) and then copy and distribute all the variables. Rename all the variables 1 - 400+