• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Metallic Brass Paint Separating

Sign_Boy

Hey all,

I've got a buddy that needs some help.
He's got 1 shot metallic brass #111-L
He wants stripe a vehicle.
He's trying to get the paint to flow out and not separate.
How can he achieve this.
He tried mineral spirits but the paint breaks apart.
Any ideas on what to do or use?

Thanks in advance

artsnletters

use one-shot reducers, a fresh can and stir the shitt out of it....keep in mind metallics suck and they will have a tendency to show the brush strokes, even on a pinline. Be wary of paint viscosity and when you re-load brush.
Tim

studio 440

you need to prep surface with wax and grease remover first before striping like auto pre cleaner and if the temp of the surface is to cold that you are striping it will separate. metalics are the hardest to stripe with.use a medium reducer for acylic enamel to thin and add a few drops of smoothie.

all_things_art

one or 2 drops in a cup of paint

Attachments

• 41FfybPl8DL.jpg
    41FfybPl8DL.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 111

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Is this free-hand or is he using tape ??

Free hand, you almost have to use a retarder. I like penetrol. Yes, penetrol, it works like a charm.

If you're using tape, paint the first side and before it sets up completely, go back over it a second time lightly and it will blend all the imperfections away.

Jillbeans

I do not recommend Smoothie, I think it causes fisheyes.
What I do is what Joe Cieslowski and Jeff Lang taught me.
Open the new can of paint.
Stir the bejeezus out of it.
Really scrape the bottom, the metalllics are the worst paint ever for separating.
Then drop in two new stainless steel nuts (like from nuts and bolts)
Put lid back on and hammer down tight.
The take a self tapping stainless steel screw and put it into the top of the can.
Shake the can before use and frequently during use.
To get paint out, just unscrew the screw and squeeze the paint out into a small cup.
With metallics you have to stir between every stroke.
The fun really begins once the brass paint turns green in about 6 months.
Love....Jill

Sign_Boy

Gino - I'm not sure. I'd probably say he'll be using tape.
I'll have to find out. Thanks

Jill - Cool trick, I'll pass that one on as well, Thanks

visual800

i would suggest airbrushing it with it taped off and about 12" of paper on both sides....of course I would also suggest not using crappy a$$ one shot paint in the first place

mrchips

Just to add to what Jill said, turn the can upside down before removing the screw and replace it before turning the can upright. To get the paint to come out, squeeze the sides of the can. If you don't put the screw back before turning the can upright, you will get a skin on the paint from the fresh air, which negates the whole exercise. Air will get into the can as you dispense the paint but it will have to travel through the paint and pick up vehicle.....keeping the air in the can saturated with it and you will never get a skin. And I mean never.

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!

signage

Just to add to what Jill said, turn the can upside down before removing the screw and replace it before turning the can upright. To get the paint to come out, squeeze the sides of the can. If you don't put the screw back before turning the can upright, you will get a skin on the paint from the fresh air, which negates the whole exercise. Air will get into the can as you dispense the paint but it will have to travel through the paint and pick up vehicle.....keeping the air in the can saturated with it and you will never get a skin. And I mean never.

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!

:goodpost: Great tip!:thumb:

Jillbeans

Thanks Joe for clarifying that.
You know me, I always get stuff wrong!
But this is the best ever thing one can do with a can of paint.
That can of clear you gave me is still going strong!