• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Method to back-chain a-frame sidewalk sign for wind?

BetaCtz

I typically sell painted crezone panel/sidewalk signs. I screw on the handle and then usually install a chain half way up on the back-side so that when it opens it won't collapse on itself.
It is also windy here at times and I don't want signs running away (skidding across snowy ground), etc.

I've seen two other options.
1) a side latch that flips and hooks on a screw on both sides - keeps things rigid. In this case crezone is like a plywood and drilling a screw into the side will split plys. Likely only a good option for PVC based boards.
2) I've seen the method of a bungy cord hanging a weight from the centre as well.

I'm thinking to make the chain a bit longer and lower, then place a sandbag on it... but I'm open to better ideas? I also like the security aspect that it's a but more troublesome to remove a sandbag to anyone targeting the sign to steal or move it.

I appreciate your feedback.

Billct2

We stopped making our own a while ago. When I did I would sometimes make a plywood flap that locked into a piece on the other side.