• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Michigan Newbie, Help me Support Our Troops!

high impact

Who's benefiting from the donations?

Give the car to a soldier when you are done and you may get some donations. But you wont' get any to help you build that car for yourself to show off at car shows and win trophies for your mantle.

RedWolf

I don't have to show you or anyone here that talks this way about us vets any damn respect.
I can see that it does not bother you, and that is your choice. Although how is it "disrespect" when somebody wants to have a "Support Our Troops" theme and let everybody see it? I do not see how that is a bad idea, besides trying to do it for nothing, the idea is honorable and respectfull.

"grow up and show some respect ", thats just pathetic.

Once again, you know me how?

When I stated "Grow up and show some respect" it is obvious that it was misunderstood. Not on my part either, yet maybe I could have worded it a bit better so it would not be misunderstood. I was only trying to enlighten a few here that have bashed the original poster that people do not have to serve in the Military to be patriotic and show respect/thanks in their own way. If the original poster DID NOT RESPECT the Vets, why would he make his vehicle into a Military Shrine? There are plenty of other ways to dress up a vehicle than to plaster it with "Support Our Troops" all over it. Yet he chose to honor the vets, and YES THAT INCLUDES YOU. I also honor the vets in my own way. When I have a customer that is wearing a Army, Navy, AF, or USMC cap, I start chatting with them about it. When I assure myself it is not just a fashion statement, I tell them "Thanks" and shake their hand. I also tell them that it is not advertised (since it would be hard to prove without bringing in paperwork and such) that they do receive the Military Discount. I do the same for the Patriot Guard. I also donate to my local VFW hall. If they need something, all they do is ask, and they get it. I don't charge, nor do I claim it on taxes as a donation. To me, claiming that would be disrespectfull because I am not doing it for any tax break, I do it as my way of saying "Thanks". Maybe I should tell all those Vets and PG members how pathetic I am, although I doubt they would believe me. I even had a local news station interview me regarding how I show my "Thanks" to the vets. After that news story, I have had soldiers over in Iraq emailing me telling me how nice it was to see citizens showing their support to the troops. I could keep going, yet you think you know me so well to judge me.

Think what you want, yet I do not think that makes me "Pathetic".

Matt

and to ALL (including corkinsa) I want to say Thanks for serving and fighting for our freedom.

Dave Drane

Just getting off the thread here a bit::thread
4 years ago I was in San Francisco and there was a young dude on the street begging for money in his military uniform. His placard read something like "just back from Iraq and need money to get home". I was pretty annoyed myself that someone could use their uniform to obtain easy money. surely the army would have looked after their own?? Was I wrong in taking it this way or did he have every right to exploit his uniform?.

GK

this thread needs to just go away...its obvious the OP has lost interest since he hasn't logged in since the day after he joined or made a single comment after the original post.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Just getting off the thread here a bit::thread
4 years ago I was in San Francisco and there was a young dude on the street begging for money in his military uniform. His placard read something like "just back from Iraq and need money to get home". I was pretty annoyed myself that someone could use their uniform to obtain easy money. surely the army would have looked after their own?? Was I wrong in taking it this way or did he have every right to exploit his uniform?.

He may well have been legitimate. The military pays your transportation costs from one post to another but does not cover any expenses involved in leave or going home. If he was just back from Iraq, he may have had his paycheck sent to his family and not had enough himself to afford transportation.

graphix28

Thank you to all our soldiers and vets.... some want to give in some way, atleast they want to show support.

Attachments

• proj1.jpg
    proj1.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 76
Last edited by a moderator:

OldPaint

why, its very apperent that those WHO spout SUPORT OUR TROOPS, with out any conviction TO BE ONE ..boils my temper. if this guy had did a tour of duty and was doin this ...it would be a whole differnt ballgame. sorta like watchin the ORANGE COUNTY CHOPPERS with all the "theme" projects they do for the troops/fireman/etc.
none of the young one there have every seen i day in uniform, dont know about the dad....so i cant say.
they do it all for show, somebody else is footin the bills and they get the glory.
iam a VIETNAM era vet, didnt go in country, never left the states. BUT I GIVE 4 YRS OF MY LIFE, in a uniform, takein orders and doin as i was told......to have some snot nosed kid, who wouldnt know what to do with a D.I. sceamin at him...other then poop his pants....want do play this little "i suport the troops" and have no idea why OUR BOYS ARE DIEING and coming back to spend the rest of their lifes in pain pill stupor....yea it bothers me.....and momma told me if you cant say somethin nice....I SHOULDNT SAY ANY MORE!!!!!!!
kid, go sign up, do 2 yrs FOR YOUR SUPPORT OF OUR TROOPS....then i will have the utmost respect for youre project!
as for pay, when discharged you are paid IN CASH for travel, been that way since the horse soldier. pay that is given to you is.......from where you was discharged to the place YOU ENLISTED AT! so if youre dicharged in sanfrancisco...and you enlisted in PA....you get enough money to buy a BUS TICKET back to PA.... for sure...not much more.
i travel from pensacola to jackson miss. for medical proceedures. the medical is free, the drugs i get are $8 for any prescription, no matter what drug. i get travel pay when i complete my appointment. you know what the price of gas is now....so figure this one...i drive 255 miles EACH WAY. to get there and come home. i go to TRAVEL PAY and i recieve $47.00. pays for the tank a gas for the return trip.
i was watchin C-SPANone nite and they had the guy from the VA on there.....who is trying to raise the TRAVEL PAY TO ACCOMADATE modern costs.......travel pay for all military has been 13 cents a mile since after the KOREAN WAR!!!!!!! tell youre congressman to sign the bill to incease the pay to ..you ready....to 28 CENTS A MILE......NOW!!!!!!
dave guy coulda been for real, but street people in the U.S. will resort to many ways to get a free buck. here is a fact for ya.....
the VA estimates that nearly 200,000 veterans are homeless on any given night. And nearly 400,000 experience homelessness over the course of a year. Conservatively, one out of every three homeless men who is sleeping in a doorway, alley or box in our cities and rural communities has put on a uniform and served this country. According to the National Survey of Homeless Assistance Providers and Clients (U.S. Interagency Council on Homelessness and the Urban Institute, 1999), veterans account for 23% of all homeless people in America.
AND 45% OF THESE ARE MENTALLY ILL....how did they become that way???? ask some of the old guys who was in country in nam........most can talk about it...now after 40 yrs......

Last edited:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
why, its very apperent that those WHO spout SUPORT OUR TROOPS, with out any conviction TO BE ONE ..boils my temper. if this guy had did a tour of duty and was doin this ...it would be a whole differnt ballgame. sorta like watchin the ORANG COUNTY CHOPPERS with all the "theme" projects they do for the troops/fireman/etc.
none of the young one there have every seen i day in uniform, dont know about the dad....so i cant say.
they do it all for show, somebody else is footin the bills and they get the glory.
iam a VIETNAM era vet, didnt go in country, never left the states. BUT I GIVE 4 YRS OF MY LIFE, in a uniform, takein orders and doin as i was told......to have some snot nosed kid, who wouldnt know what to do with a D.I. sceamin at him...oter then poop his pants....want do play this little "i suport the troops" and have no idea why OUR BOYS ARE DIEING and coming back to spend the rest of their lifes in pain pill stupor....yea it bothers me.....and momma told if you cant say somethin nice....I SHOULDNT SAY ANY MORE!!!!!!!
kid go sign up, do 2 yrs FOR YOUR SUPPORT OF OUR TROOPS....then i will have the utmost respect for youre project!

guido.gif
OP ... I served too and understand where you're coming from. But the days of universal military obligations are long gone. I think you are sitting in judgment on this kid without knowing any of the facts. A little benefit of the doubt goes a long way these days.

jimdes

1. A JAP CAR? Come on . . . start with something "Made In America"

2. Got no right using the Soldiers Creed on a vehicle he will be driving if he isn't a soldier or vet.

3. Duty, Honor, Respect . . . I just don't think he gets it at all if he isn't willing to enlist.

4. I think he'd have a better chance of winning hearts by using the Budweiser pledge of allegiance "This is the world famous Budweiser beer. We know of no brand produced by any other brewer . . ."

Dave Drane

He may well have been legitimate. The military pays your transportation costs from one post to another but does not cover any expenses involved in leave or going home. If he was just back from Iraq, he may have had his paycheck sent to his family and not had enough himself to afford transportation.

:Oops:Thanks Fred, I am glad that I didn't say anything to him then, not that I would anyway as I was in someone elses country. He was basically being ignored by everyone though.