• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions mid range flatbed printer

bigben

So if a printer like the roland LEJ-640, Fuji Acuity LED 1600 II or Mutoh 1638UH are entry level printers but I would like to have a bit more quality and speed, what would be the next step? Do I automatically double the price of the printer? I'm trying to figure if I spend a little more, would it worth it? Exemple spend 50% more to have a 70% better printer.

I do mainly interior stuff. So quality go before speed but I would like to have more speed than the 3 models mentioned above.

If my explanation is not clear enough, let me know.

FatCat

First, I'm not a flatbed expert at all - I'm sure others will chime in with more info.

In regards to your question, you need to ask yourself what will you be printing? Large quantities of coroplast and foam boards, or high quality stuff like glass and acrylics? You also have to determine if you need a white ink option, and if you need a hybrid that can do roll to roll for large banners among other things.

As I understand it, most new flatbeds $150k and less are typically considered entry level machines. New mid-range flatbeds are typically in the $200 - $350k range. Instead of splurging on a mid range and not knowing if it will be worth it, you can also consider purchasing a machine that can be upgraded to faster speeds down the road like the CET and Vanguard machines. You can start off with a dual or 4-head configuration and then grow to a 6 or 8 head machine just by adding heads to the carriage which already has the space to do this.

The other route you can go is to buy used, and in that scenario you can get a used mid-range machine very affordably, but you have to know your stuff in able to be able to maintain it as you won't have factory/dealer support if buying used.

Good luck!

DerbyCitySignGuy

So if a printer like the roland LEJ-640, Fuji Acuity LED 1600 II or Mutoh 1638UH are entry level printers but I would like to have a bit more quality and speed, what would be the next step? Do I automatically double the price of the printer? I'm trying to figure if I spend a little more, would it worth it? Exemple spend 50% more to have a 70% better printer.

I do mainly interior stuff. So quality go before speed but I would like to have more speed than the 3 models mentioned above.

If my explanation is not clear enough, let me know.

What's your range? Do you NEED a true flatbed or could you make a hybrid work?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Checkout the Mimaki JFX200. The info FatCat gave is pretty much spot on except the pricing on flatbeds has changed pretty drastically in the last few years. The Mimaki JFX200 goes for around $70k and there is a special going on right now for free shipping which saves you about $1000. The pros are it is a full sized true UV flatbed, the quality is on par with industry standards at 1200 x 1200 max dpi. and depending on how you set it up it is the fastest flatbed from a major manufacturer at it's price point. I consider it a high end entry level machine. The "cons" are that it cannot be upgraded like FatCat mentions about some other brands, it is also not a hybrid so it won't take a roll but still can print on vinyl if needed. When you look at the more expensive machines you will find that quality doesn't really go much higher than 1200 x 1200 but speed increases big time and continent features like auto loaders etc are added. The reason I think the JFX200 will be perfect for you is because it print high quality but since speed isn't a huge factor for you, you can save 10's of thousands of dollars getting this machine rather than one of the higher end ones.

bigben

Thanks all for the informations. I'm more looking for an hybrid printer. I print mainly on rolled stock but I have more and more demand for rigid product and if I could save on the long run instead of printing on vinyl and stick it on the media it could be good. I also have more demand on size over 4x8. A 5x10 and over table would be a good thing. Vanguard VK300D was one of the main manufacturer I was looking for. But they are only true flatbed. I've been contemplating the idea to get a JFX200-2531 and UCJV300-160. I would be below the 150k price point but was wondering if the 2 times the price would be justified compared to a basic hybrid model like the roland LEJ-640 for example.

But I'm open to all suggestions.

DerbyCitySignGuy

Thanks all for the informations. I'm more looking for an hybrid printer. I print mainly on rolled stock but I have more and more demand for rigid product and if I could save on the long run instead of printing on vinyl and stick it on the media it could be good. I also have more demand on size over 4x8. A 5x10 and over table would be a good thing. Vanguard VK300D was one of the main manufacturer I was looking for. But they are only true flatbed. I've been contemplating the idea to get a JFX200-2531 and UCJV300-160. I would be below the 150k price point but was wondering if the 2 times the price would be justified compared to a basic hybrid model like the roland LEJ-640 for example.

But I'm open to all suggestions.

Check out the VUTEks. I've been consistently impressed with their printers. The HS2000 in particular is a workhorse and has roll to roll options. It's very fast as well. You can probably get one in or around the range you're looking.

bigben

Check out the VUTEks. I've been consistently impressed with their printers. The HS2000 in particular is a workhorse and has roll to roll options. It's very fast as well. You can probably get one in or around the range you're looking.

Thanks, but it seems to be a machine well over the 200k$ mark. No? There is a used one for sale on globalgarage for 200k$

DerbyCitySignGuy

Thanks, but it seems to be a machine well over the 200k$ mark. No? There is a used one for sale on globalgarage for 200k$

They're a little more expensive, but you should be able to get a comparable one for less. I believe we paid just over $250k for ours brand new a few years ago.

There are other VUTEk models that may be more affordable. While I don't love Fiery, the machines themselves have been good for us and very reliable.