• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

mild solvent vs eco solvent for mimaki cjv3 54in.

ironchef

Hey signs101'ers... I've learned alot from this forum, good stuff... i decided to buy the mimaki over the roland. I also decided to go with a dual cmyk setup, now i need to decide on eco vs mild solvent. I know that solvent gets better colors, and that's very important, but health is more important, so I'm concerned on the fumes, we will have it in a 1300 sqft. Open warehouse. No upper level windows for venting soo, I'm guessing i would have to take it up thru the middle , where i have a basic vent, set up for the warehouse. I dont think i can afford the mimaki vent system plus the setup and installation i would need. And i dont think i have an opening to vent thru, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

CS-SignSupply-TT

ironchef, if you are going to use OEM inks, use the SS21. If FUMES are a concern, ask your HVAC "best friend" for a vent recommendation. I am sure the parts required can be bought locally, including the VENT fan.

Rooster

Since the SS21's contain VOCs, you might be asking for a world of hurt with a straight vent to the outdoors with them. Or maybe not. Check your local regulations to be sure, before you wind with a fine from the local gubbermint.

Another option is get an inline fan duct and a activated charcoal filter. You should be able to get a system capable of completely filtering the air in your warehouse (depending on ceiling height) for about $1200-$1500 from your local hydroponics store. Set some intake vents up below the printer (the fumes are heavier than air) and it should be more than enough to keep the air fresh and clean and keep the EPA off your back as well. The filters usually last about two years so the maintenance costs aren't too bad.

ironchef

Nice, thanks for the advise, been kinda busy these days, how does the mimaki ventilation system compare to getting a local brand or someone to install it locally.

Rooster

A couple of computer fans and some tubing is really all the mimaki vent system is. Unless your dealer is pushing another air-scrubber system on you.

ironchef

Hey guys. I've decided on the ss21 inks. But isn't there another option. Like a eco and solvent ink? Also haven't found much on setting up a ventilation system. Anyone recommend a good system i can order online, or a diagram or instruction on making one?

J

john1

Call Grimco, You can get a air duster 2000 system that is made to vent fumes. Island air makes it and is a industry standard name pretty much.

It really depends on how much you will be printing on if this system is the best for you.

If printing just a few hours a day you can get a allerair vocarb 5000 which has a gppd size charcoal filter also to filter the fumes. Pretty much since fumes are heavier than air, the system sucks from the ground into the charcoal filter which grabs the voc's and sends fresh air out the side into the room.

http://www.allerair.com/air-purifiers/5000-series.html

The d vocarb 5000 vs the regular vocarb 5000 actually is made for heavy concentrations which means it has a larger charcoal filter which is what you want.

Don't confuse these with the crappy ones at walmart, The cheap ones charcoal filters aren't even a 1lb and the higher end ones have a 24lb one and even larger. More charcoal the better it traps voc's (fumes)

ironchef

Thanks for the advise. Is that the only brand you guys use? My budget is more in the 500 range. All those are 800 or more.

J

john1

Things aren't cheap, We are only talking a few hundred more and it is worth it. I wouldn't be without anything at all.

ironchef

They have alot of options. Its confusing. What model do you have and why? And what do you recommend? We have an open warehouse space..1300 sq.ft. no air vents or windows on the walls. Just the vent on the roof. In the middle.