• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki CJV 150 expired ink

BRated

Is there any real problems associated with using expired ink for the mimaki cjv150 I had some ink in storage that is about a year old. Mimaki says not to use expired ink but that's the same thing hp said about their latex and I'm still using inks out of warranty. Any advice or confirmation on this?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
People do it all the time. Give it a gentile shake before putting it in. Just keep in mind that if you do end up having issues with the head clogging etc., the ink will be the first suspect. So it's not recommended but usually it's not a problem.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
I’d toss it or all of them if outdated more than a month or two.
Not worth the trouble. Ink is cheap compared to the money we make off these machines.

7_nebo_7

If you can store ink in lower temperature. Around +7 - +10 degree you can get around 2 years shelf life from ink. Some time more. Simple rule for all chemistry. lower temperature longe life time.
Regarding baypasing ink chips there are many options. One of thems is chip reseter such as MikaChip. Just google about it.

Headstrike

Mimaki Wide Format Printer Services
I agree with Mike. It's not worth the risk to damage more expensive parts. Nowadays a printhead for JV/CJV from Mimaki goes for 3k+. So...

Dasdesignguy

Production Manager/Field Service Tech
I think Mike Tyson put it best.

“Everyone has a plan: until they get punched in the face.” – Mike Tyson

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
While I agree that erring on the side of caution is usually a good idea, in my experience customers rarely throw ink down the drain whether it's expired or not.

Impact1

Wide Format Technical Solutions
If your printer is still under warranty I would definitely not use expired ink that old. Once your past the warranty stage it’s really up to you if you want to take a risk on damaging the print head. It may or may not cause issues but if it does your looking at 3k for a new head.

Dangreenst

People do it all the time. Give it a gentile shake before putting it in. Just keep in mind that if you do end up having issues with the head clogging etc., the ink will be the first suspect. So it's not recommended but usually it's not a problem.
Agreed 1-2 years not a problem. You may need to install new Chips available online.