• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki CJV30-160 banding issue

ASL_Signs

Hi folks, I am having a bad banding issue with my Mimaki CJV30-160. I have done all the cleanings, multiple times, nozzle wash, the whole nine yards. I am using OEM inks, with the original print head (about 7 years old now. I am posting a few pics of the print test, and a couple of the banding pics. Its only really happening when I print solid black areas, the color areas seem fine. Just want to see if you folks have any suggestions for what the issue might be.

Thanks in advance for any help!

20180920_162722.jpg 20180920_162740.jpg 20180920_162814.jpg 20180920_162821.jpg

tooler82

Hi folks, I am having a bad banding issue with my Mimaki CJV30-160. I have done all the cleanings, multiple times, nozzle wash, the whole nine yards. I am using OEM inks, with the original print head (about 7 years old now. I am posting a few pics of the print test, and a couple of the banding pics. Its only really happening when I print solid black areas, the color areas seem fine. Just want to see if you folks have any suggestions for what the issue might be.

Thanks in advance for any help!

View attachment 136718 View attachment 136719 View attachment 136720 View attachment 136721

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's time for a new head. I have a CJV30-130, and it was way better, and it was my head. Didn't realize it, but the tech said the whole machine is supposed to be fully serviced like every 18 months. Oops. Anyways, only got 4 years out of my head.

ASL_Signs

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's time for a new head. I have a CJV30-130, and it was way better, and it was my head. Didn't realize it, but the tech said the whole machine is supposed to be fully serviced like every 18 months. Oops. Anyways, only got 4 years out of my head.

i appreciate the input... really wanted to avoid having to replace the head (can't believe the cost!). oh well, time to price out print heads i guess...

ASL_Signs

Ok, maybe a little more info here.

I ran a print this morning that was just red and blue (it used a tiny amount of black for the dark blue), it printed fine.

Ran a test black print afterwards and got the bad banding.

Now another question. Tooler mentioned that they were supposed to be serviced about every 18 months, any idea what a normal service involves?

Thanks again in advance!

tooler82

Trying to get you the manuals if you don’t have them. Here’s the Daily Cleaning. The operation one is too large but going to get it sized down to get you too.

Attachments

• CJV30_Daily_Care_D201896_V1.1.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 502

tooler82

Ok so the capping station is on the right side where the printer head sits in like when it self cleans. It’s a black square plastic piece.

Attachments

• 13A6549B-9BE7-46A4-B0B6-866852338CAF.png
    13A6549B-9BE7-46A4-B0B6-866852338CAF.png
    613.8 KB · Views: 951
I have personally owned Mimaki for over 6 years
When I start to get banding it's usually two things
The head needs to be flushed or
The capping station has to be changed.
every few months i change the capping station and the wiper i change every month
The head should never go bad if you keep it clean
There are many good videos on Youtube that show how to clean and /or replace your capping station
you can do an alignment using the function button on the Mimaki screen but Ill bet it just needs a good flushing and cleaning
We use our Mimaki CJV30-160 every day all day and it still needs flushing every so often
One last thing to note is the dampers........
They get old and go bad and sometimes lose there "Prime"
A couple good firm squeezes on each one can help promote a healthy flow
Afterall they are the "HART" of the ink head

Good luck
Regards Rick
GraphX Shop

tooler82

Oh yeah, forgot your other question about what a damper is. If you take the cover off the printer head, which is 2 screws, you’ll see the lines that connect to the dampers. Check them to see if the Black has ink in it.

ASL_Signs

man i sure do appreciate all the input. i discovered that other than a weekly cleaning our printer has never been "officially" serviced by a tech. i am going to start out with a service call i think, that way a lot of this info i can ask the tech about first hand, i figure we're about due for it anyway...

tooler82

Great idea. Hope it doesn’t cost you an arm and a leg. You definitely need to get it serviced since it’s never been.

Service and repair can cost a small fortune
For this time I think it's a good idea
But have your camera phone by your side and videotape the entire service event so you can
have a reference to watching again if you have to clean or fix things next time you can do it yourself

When I first started (2002) I ran MUTO printers and learned very quickly how to service them my self
including replacing circuit boards and print heads.......Even Heaters
At one point I was buying Dyesub printers and converting them into ECHO solvent printers by adding heaters (the only difference)

Best of luck
Regards, Rick

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
But have your camera phone by your side and videotape the entire service event so you can
have a reference to watching again if you have to clean or fix things next time you can do it yourself

Just be aware that on the service tech side of things this is considered extremely rude. Some guys will say something and some guys won't but I can guarantee you I don't know many techs that don't take offence to that. When I train people I have absolutely no problem if they record but not when I fix machines in the field. Imagine someone buying a sign from you but wanting to watch you do the whole process so they could do it themselves next time. You wouldn't do it.

Just be aware that on the service tech side of things this is considered extremely rude. Some guys will say something and some guys won't but I can guarantee you I don't know many techs that don't take offence to that. When I train people I have absolutely no problem if they record but not when I fix machines in the field. Imagine someone buying a sign from you but wanting to watch you do the whole process so they could do it themselves next time. You wouldn't do it.

in today's age, you can just youtube how to fix many (If not all) problems with your specific printer
There was no Offence meant just some advice for the OP as a heads up
If your paying for a service you should be able to record
I have no problem if someone wants to watch me or record me and my employees
as many of my customers already do (Plus I post videos all the time on our FB page @thegraphxshop)

The fact is....
If someone wants to start a sign shop based on watching me or recording me do the work, then I say more power to them.........lol
They will never be able to record my 20+ years of knowledge and the same goes for that Service tech
And if you think that you have some secrets that I don't already know then good for you, but I would still bet anyone that thinks
that because their grandma left them $110,00 and they want to open a Sign shop or any other shop without knowing
every In & Out of what they're getting into then they're just throwing their money away.........

but hey
if you feel uncomfortable about my "Suggestion" then please feel free to ask the service tech if he minds..........
i'm sure he wont care as like I said you can't record 20 years of hand on experience...............LOL

tooler82

It probably won’t matter if you record or not since they’d have a fun time trying to get with Mimaki to be a licensed tech for them. If you’re not licensed and open that printer then it automatically voids the warranty. Hire the Mimaki certified and if anything fails me just did, you’re covered for free replacement or support.