• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki Head Replacement Help

chrissignnewbie

We have a Mimkai CJV150-130 which we have owned for around 3 years. The machine has ran perfectly until 6 months ago we had an issue of overspray on magenta. Luckily we had warranty and so the manufacturer came out and replaced the head and the cap.

6 Months later and 2 weeks out of warranty, the head it playing up again. Orange is nearly fully blocked, other colours aren't printing correctly on the test print. I have done numerous cleans and left the head socking over the weekend but it hasn't made any difference. Hybrid the manufacture are telling me they dont warranty parts once the engineer has left. This morning we're getting overspray on black.

We print maybe 1-2 times a per week, 95% of what we do is garment vinyl and tend to print on 500mm wide material, no more than 5m per week with around 35% coverage on average. We clean the machine after every use and are really careful with it, I'm the only one here that uses it.

I believe the head is failing and that as its hardly been used and only 6 months old Hybrid should replace it free of charge as obviously the part is a defect.

My question to the group is if I do have to replace the head, I have found somewhere I can purchase the head only from without the board. Is if difficult to replace the head? Does anyone has any instructions on how to do it?

I am pretty handy but never messed with printers before.

Any help would be really helpful as at present we're really stuck.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3267.jpg
    IMG_3267.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_3268.jpg
    IMG_3268.jpg
    1,000.3 KB · Views: 154

Gregg Lindsay

looking at your test draw i'd take a look at your capping. if it hasn't been changed that would be where I would start first.
Not familiar with the vendor of the head but some are re-manufactured and could be the issue as well.

chrissignnewbie

looking at your test draw i'd take a look at your capping. if it hasn't been changed that would be where I would start first.
Not familiar with the vendor of the head but some are re-manufactured and could be the issue as well.
The cap was changed with the head 6 months ago.

Hybrid is the UK distributor for Mimaki, it is an original and brand new head.

PW66

I have an almost identical problem with cjv150 from Hybrid. Had a new head half way through warranty and the replacement looks like it is failing three months out of warrant. My magenta is blocking and it looks like the head itself is delaminating - black is getting into the other colours during downtime.
I don't think you have much chance of claiming against Hybrid for a defective part. All they legally have to do in UK is replace the original faulty part with one of a similar age. They have kept your machine running for the length of the warranty, so they have 'technically' met their end of the bargain

Gregg Lindsay

The cap was changed with the head 6 months ago.

Hybrid is the UK distributor for Mimaki, it is an original and brand new head.
if you look at the picture of the bottom of the head you can see the inkline from the capping station and it looks off center to me witch would introduce air while cleaning etc.
I would double check the cap adjust settings

chrissignnewbie

I have an almost identical problem with cjv150 from Hybrid. Had a new head half way through warranty and the replacement looks like it is failing three months out of warrant. My magenta is blocking and it looks like the head itself is delaminating - black is getting into the other colours during downtime.
I don't think you have much chance of claiming against Hybrid for a defective part. All they legally have to do in UK is replace the original faulty part with one of a similar age. They have kept your machine running for the length of the warranty, so they have 'technically' met their end of the bargain
What did you do, did you change the head yourself?

Neil

if you look at the picture of the bottom of the head you can see the ink line from the capping station and it looks off center to me witch would introduce air while cleaning etc.
I would double check the cap adjust settings
I agree with this. Probably went out of alignment when the new head and capping station was installed.
Get the cap top to line up perfectly under the head, to create an air tight seal and you should be good to go.

netsol

it makes me wonder what the arrangement is between mimaki & a distributor/servicing rep like hybrid.

my question is HOW DOES MIMAKI COMPENSATE HYBRID when a head goes bad?
[and by extension how epson compensates mimaki?]
do they truly SEND A BRAND NEW HEAD?
or is a rebuilt head, provided by manufacturer?

we have an issue with DELL, who, as one of the worlds largest computer manufacturers, sends back 10's of thousands of defective hard drives.
they are compensated by receiving (rebuilt) hard drives as replacements

what they often do, is use these drives in "specials" heavily discounted promotions

many times these rebuilts are garbage, ticking time bombs, waiting to fail again

just wondering if the

chrissignnewbie

Service mode/#adjust/capping
Make adjustment so that the clearance between the head and
uppermost point of the cap is set at 0.5 mm.
Thanks for this. I have been looking at more detail of the print head and cap. It appears that when the cap is fully sealed on the print head, around 2-3 mm of the print head is exposed on the right hand side. Also, when we adjust the cap height, either the cap edges are worn or the cap is on a slant as the left is higher than the right.

I have ordered a new cap so will install that today when it arrives. However, as for the issue of it not being centered on the head, I am not sure how to do this. When I follow the guide (thanks for sending by the way) and adjust it left/right it moves both the cap and head. How do I move just the cap right and not the head?

Thanks again

Kilmore

How do I move just the cap right and not the head?
I have the same question..
I thought i was supposed to move the plastic block that is pushed by the print head sledge.
That block has two skrews to loosen it, but also a plastic "tip" that is fixed in a slot in the metal. I cant figure out how to adjust it sideways?