• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki JV-33 USB & main board issue

bigred247

Hi Guys,

I seem to have a problem with my USB communication between my Mimaki JV33-160 and desktop PC. I have tried several things but still seem to be in the same position. I've tried the below:

1. tested 2 - 3 new cables but no joy
2. tried 2 - 3 different desktop/laptops
3. scanned device manager after disconnecting/connecting cable
4. restarted PC and rebooted printer
5. removed driver for mimaki and re-installed
6. tried installing driver/rip on another machine but the they just do not pick up the printer at all

Having done all of these things Hybrid suggested it could be the main board because all other avenues had been explored. Therefore, i removed the main board and set it off to repair to a company called'industrial electronic repairs' on the advice of an engineer i know who has used them previously to repair a board. There web add ishttp://www.ieruk.com

Upon receiving the board i installed it but unfortunately i'm still in the same position!!! FYI, they replaced the USB socket which was corroded according to them and i think they did some soldering and tidy up work.

The one thing i did notice is that LED 3 is lit up red at the top centre of the board. I'm uncertain if this was the case previously because i didn't check.

I'm running out of ideas?

The engineer suggested i check the power supply board to see if it is pushing power through all of the cables attached to the board. I'm no electrician but baught my self a beeping tester and a clamp meter. I've ATTACHED an IMAGE for your reference. The two cables highlighted in RED don't give me a power reading using a clamp that i'm using. And the BLUE circle highlights the LED 3 that shows up red indicating an alert. I have attached an image of the clamp i purchased also. I can't say with any conviction that i am convinced that the power supply board is the problem?? Because i'm no expert. These cables have many strands/mini cables that make up the complete cable so i'm uncertain whether the clamp would always give a reading??? Saying that all the cables gave me some power readings.

Any help would be desperately appreciated!!!

I'm £520 down so far and have been over a week without my printer!

Thanks.

Fraz
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• lap testing clamp.jpg
    lap testing clamp.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 1,846
  • mimaki jv33 main board pcb edit 2.jpg
    mimaki jv33 main board pcb edit 2.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 1,894

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
If it's not being picked up by the computer when you plug in the USB, the chip that handles the USB protocol on the main board is probably fired. It looks like you have tried everything I would. You could reinstall the driver with the latest version but other than that, you probably need to get the board fixed where they know how to replace that chip.

bigred247

Hey VanderJ,
Thank you for the quick response. Do you know where the chip is located on the board?
In regards to the driver i'll give it a try but i don't expect it to work :eek:|
Do you think the two cables that are not showing any power reading could be related?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I'm pretty sure it's the chip directly to the right of the usb connector. If you look up, "USB Protocol Chip" on google it gives you pictures and that's the only chip that looks similar. Don't quote me on that though :wink:

erikjem

Mimaki jv 33 usb problem

Hello , can you tell me how you fixed your printer , IM having t exact problem ,

i been looking for help with no luck ,

Thanks in advance

erik

netsol

test with another computer?

can you borrow a laptop for a 5 minute test?
plug th usb into the "strange" computer and it should detect a connected device. wait a minute or 2 and it may say setup failed (this is ok) . you just want to see detection.

if we get detection we may be failing the identification portion of setup.

Lets assume for this discussion that the people who fixed your board knew what they were doing. we need to go into device manager andclear some failed devices and try again.

usb is funny. you may need to run a program to clear "usb device history"

i will pm you a link to something to clear usb history so we can try again, along with my cell #.

erikjem

i connect t printer to another computer and it did actually try to find t controller for t printer , will go with second step, clearing usb history ,

thanks

erikjem

ended up being an electrical problem in the wall wiring, up and running now , with an extra brand new motherboard ,

thanks a lot for your help , really help me this forum

regards

Erik

Geo806

ended up being an electrical problem in the wall wiring, up and running now , with an extra brand new motherboard ,

thanks a lot for your help , really help me this forum

regards

Erik
I see this thread has been dead a while, but im having the same issue wirh my machine. Can you tell me what you mean by electrical issue and what you did to fix the issue.

OmegaAdv

Hello,
I have similar problem. My jv33 work with Onyx X. I have to types of issues. First my printer go to work, print and in the middle bump or don't bump(if bump give error 16 MRL Command) but stoppes and Active is on. Second is without any sound the carriage go to capping station and in the onyx it gives me Idle.......It makes me a lot of rubbish! I give to print it again and it work sometime but sometime didn't. From 10 prints to say 80% finished. Before I have a JV3 with the same rip and if the onyx rip the file Ive never see the printer to stop. Can it be bad USB connector to motherboard.Im desperate.....

Last edited:

wrapworld2

I'm having the same exact issue.... 7 days now my JV 33 wont connect to any computer I try to get it to. Can someone please help. !! I've spent six days now going into seven tomorrow. Running windows 10 even downloaded new rasterlink 6 still nothing it worked fine till I loaded it to this (PC) machine because the other one shut down. Please someone help . and thanks .

k.a.s.

I'm having the same exact issue.... 7 days now my JV 33 wont connect to any computer I try to get it to. Can someone please help. !! I've spent six days now going into seven tomorrow. Running windows 10 even downloaded new rasterlink 6 still nothing it worked fine till I loaded it to this (PC) machine because the other one shut down. Please someone help . and thanks .

What have you tried? If you have done the easy stuff like new USB cable and such, then order another motherboard. I have had no success with rebuilt boards, buy a new one. If you want advice call Brian at American Print Consultants 855-927-2465 . Also don't do business with MacMedia in NY, who claim to rebuild main boards but really just steal money.

wrapworld2

What have you tried? If you have done the easy stuff like new USB cable and such, then order another motherboard. I have had no success with rebuilt boards, buy a new one. If you want advice call Brian at American Print Consultants 855-927-2465 . Also don't do business with MacMedia in NY, who claim to rebuild main boards but really just steal money.
Yes thank you for that... I was with some great techs this morning again and we have decided the same... Board issues for sure . USB port damaged and lord knows what else. thank you for the reply I really appreciate it very much !

wrapworld2

and p.s. yes I've done about all there is to do from reinstall to changing complete systems and reloading software ... uninstall reinstall cables .. drivers ... six days worth of troubleshooting this thing and hours of tech advice. all I like now is taking a big hammer to it...lol..... and thanks for the heads up on the scammers.... good to have a forum like this... I have much respect for you all. Thanks Lee