• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki JV3-75SPII

ChiknNutz

Anybody have any feedback about this? Sounds like this is a new offering. I just got an email about it yesterday. True, it is only 30", but how does it compare to the VersaCAMM or Mutoh Falcon? I saw the package price as being just uner $17k, with the printer being about $13k of that.

The Mimaki JV3-75SPII is our new, economical 34" solvent inkjet printer that, despite it's smaller size, doesn't pull any punches. This 4-head machine is capable of printing photo-quality outputs up to 1440x1440 dpi at twice the speed of its competitor's 2-head printers, and packs up to 6 colors. It's ideal for sign, banner and silkscreen markets with inks that will stand up to indoor/outdoor displays. Plus it's a perfect fit with our CG-75FX "electric eye" cutter – giving you maximum versatility, accuracy and productivity.

jayhawksigns

The size may be new but its basically the same machine that I have here in my shop.

We looked at Roland and Mimaki machines last year when we bought ours, and the Roland inks just didn't hold up as well as the Mimaki inks did. Also, theres the cutting methods. Yes, with the Roland it is all in one unit, but if you laminate and then cut, it doesn't matter. I prefer seperate units, that way I can be printing my second job on the Mimaki printer while I am cutting the first in the plotter. Plus you also have another stand alone plotter to use in your shop. I also have bad experiences with Rolands print and cut ColorCAMM accurately cutting a job after it printed it.

jayhawksigns

That I don't know, there are several 3rd party ink systems out for that machines larger siblings that are more true of a solvent. When we were looking at the machines, what I was getting was that the Roland inks were considered an eco-solvent that was oil based, where as the Mimaki was a mild solvent.

The biggest thing is to get samples. For us, our dealer sold both machines so we drove up to Kansas City and was actually able to see both machines in action, printing our own supplied file. The funny thing is that off of that quick print, the Roland did look better, but the Mimaki held up to scratching/windex/rubbing alcohol a lot better than the Roland did, which helped us make our decision. And after getting our own machine, and knowing what settings to use, our output is better than what we were given from the Roland.

I love our Mimaki, and per another thread, I wouldn't trade it in, but without getting software like Flexi, Onyx or Wasatch, I think that your output from Corel would be better with the Roland, as long as they are still providing their windows "drivers" that they used too.

ChiknNutz

LvDecals said:
It can be set up full or lite solvent. You can go to www.abetterink.com they can give you a good deal on the printer w/bulk ink.

Chris, I'll send your prints later this week.....

COOL! I look forward to seeing them. I'm still eyeing the Mutoh 48 for sure. Do you have any trouble with getting 48" media for it? Seems like MOST of what I see is 54" media which leads me to think that a 54" printer would be the hot-setup. What about the ICC profiles, do you just use what Exciters gives you?

StickyBoyz

I purchased the machine a few months ago and love it. The only thing I would like to comment on is that the width I believe that we use is 30" max., probably because that is the size vinyl. Also with any printer like that you better use it a lot or you will see your ink flush away. It doesn't goes that fast but it's better if you just use it up.

David Snider

We will be placing an order for the Mimaki Jr. combo in a few days with a Signlab 7.1 which includes the rip software. We have done our homework and this is the best choice for a small shop.

WVB

I was just in Florida and visited Advantage Sign Supply they sell both of the machines you are after Chris. Both prints looked awesome, but I believe you will receive better print quality from the Mimaki due to solvent versus eco. I believe they sell both machines at the same cost or right around the same cost. The Mimaki is a solvent (You will need ventilation) and the Mutoh is eco (no ventilation). They were incredibly helpful and more then willing to take the time for you. I have yet to purchase anything from them but look forward to doing so! :thumb:

Advantage Sign Supply
http://www.advantagesignsupply.com/

iSign

I am also on the verge of making a decision on the mimaki equip.
I also deal with Advantage & have nothing but good things to say about their customer service, prices, tech support & equipment service.

I like the extra 6" length on the Mutoh, but I understand that the printing material choices are more limited with the Mutoh, as well as my sales rep saying he has encountered more customers having problems with the mutoh... so I am on the Mimaki bandwagon too now.

it is not 34" though. It says it can accept up to 31.88" material, but it can still only print 30" (dang... I wish it was 36"... oh well... I still plan to get it!)

Steve C.

We just went to the Fort Worth Sign Exop Show last Friday and man.... every machine I saw was very impressive. What ever you get I'll bet you will be happy with. Every one knows I LOVE MY MUTOH!. I just have to say You may be sorry if you dont get something that prints at least 36". Banners are a big item and not many ask for 30" banners. 3ft and 4ft are the most popular hights. I have a 48" printer but have never used wider than 36", but when I need 48" I will be ready to print.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I have to agree with Steve C, at least if what you're after is the highest ROI and greatest certainty of bringing in more money than you will be spending for supplies and lease payments. Banners are the natural domain of the wide format inkjet and will be the primary product coming off of it if you allow it to be.

ChiknNutz

You guys are right, the more I look, the more I like the Mutoh 48. I still wish it were a 54" model, but I guess you can't have everything on a budget! I really like the combo price of this coupled with a nice Graphtec FC5100 plotter, the 6-color capability and outfeed take-up reel - plus, it will fit in the space I have alotted for a printer (small spaces suck!).

Steve, do you have any trouble getting media for it and what media do you use most? Where do you get the profiles from? Also, what software and RIP are you using? Did you get the registration problem resolved?

Either way, I plan on getting the bulk-ink system that Corey (MasterSignWizard) uses - he's proven it's worth to me for sure! I've posted some of my personal experience with stuff he's printed for me in a couple other threads.

Last edited:

Steve C.

Chris....As I said, I have only used 36" media so far. I know that the Avory banner material comes 48" and Ameribans catalog shows some SOLVEX material at 48". I will be giving that a try. Mostly I print on Orajet 3651 and Oracal 751 for vinyl, banners, Avorys Jupitor 10oz. I Use the Orical 751 profile for everything with some adjustment to heat,etc. I have about 10 profiles, but none are for products I use. Still using Flexi Pro 7.5 and yes I did get the contour problem solved, but not completely to my satisfaction. I have been using the manual bomb drop registration instead of the Auto Reg Sensors because of a problem in Flexi.

WVB

Chris you can get profiles from Oracals website for free. Also if buying a printer Advance Sign Supply will provide you with custom profiles they have made for all materials they sell and for each printer they sell. They may provide these to you if you just buy supplies, but not 100% sure on that. The one thing in the Mutoh Falcon Jr that bothers me is they printer up to 36" however they bundle it will a cutter that only cuts up to 30". Your better off paying the extra $200 and going with a FC5100-100 and be able to cut up to 42" from SSk. Remember you can always go smaller, but you can not go bigger.

Steve C.

LvDecals said:
What problems are you having with contours? We OPS ontour all the time.

Flexi 7.5 only offers 3point registration for the Graphtec FC5100. When I use the OPS, contours are off in the corner without the reg. marks everytime. I have 7.6 but have not installed yet, am told that it has the 4pt. reg.

JR Digital

if you're going to be doing banners, most likely you'll end up printing them instead of using the plotter. its faster , cheaper too. if it were a choice between those 3 printers, i'd get the biggest one. 30" printers are for posters and and decals.. you'll need a bigger printer for banners which will probably be the primary use for your machine.

Scott Reynolds

Steve, is your cutter set to #2 registration mark detection? The control panel on your Graphtec has settings for the registration marks. I have not had any contour problems with the 3 point once getting all the setting set.