• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki latex jv400

ironchef

Does anyone have a mimaki latex printer? If so how are they? I'm planning on getting a second printer, and I'm stuck in between an hp latex mimaki latex or epson surecolor. Please advise.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Christian @ 2CT Media

Dont get a mimaki/ricoh latex until early next year (new version supposedly coming out that will change the latex landscape). This current generation sucks, its very slow @ 1/2 the speed of HP and event slower with white. Their White inks settles and ruins the heads since their shaker system doesn't work all that well, and the heads are $4500+ and are prone to head crashes. We personally know 2 shops with them, viewed them in action, and both shop owners quickly bought HPs to supplement.

ironchef

Yea I've been up all night researching, and I'm leaning towards the hp 560 or 570

Tricia

Exhibit Graphic Production
Does anyone have a mimaki latex printer? If so how are they? I'm planning on getting a second printer, and I'm stuck in between an hp latex mimaki latex or epson surecolor. Please advise.

We happen to have a brand new Mimaki JV400-160 LX Latex Printer - never used, still in the box if you are interested.

tylercrum

I've been running latex for a long time starting with the l25500. When I sold my shop and came on here at this shop they had a mimaki latex.
It. Was. Garbage.
You could eventually get OK quality, but it wouldn't stay consistent and the speed suffered greatly! 40pass! We had one job to print a bunch of wall graphics for a tradeshow. We had 2-3 days to do it, but once I got it all queued up to print on the mimaki we realized it wouldn't be able to print it in time for the tradeshow! I ended up loading materials and files up and taking it home and printing it overnight on the l25500 I had in the garage (during the shop move transition). We quickly replaced it with a 360 and never looked back. Even had our local mimaki service guy tell us (off the record of course) that we basically had a big purple/pink paperweight if we were trying to do any kind of production with it.
HP Latex is it right now as far as latex goes. The Epson's look pretty good right now too, but I prefer latex. :)

dale911

President
I had the same experience when I went to demo my Mimaki solvent. They had a latex and I asked about it and the Rep told me that they couldn't even keep it running. It uses a bunch of ink to keep the heads clean and they ran out and never replaced them. He said it probably needed new heads but no one wants one so they never replaced it. I'm intrigued to hear about the upcoming printer. Guess we will see. It seems like someone else should step up sooner or later. As I type this, I started thinking that I would actually be interested in seeing if someone came with a hybrid latex printer. I've had good luck with ink adhesion on ever media I ever tried so I am betting it may work on hard substrates and I'd love to have a hybrid printer running latex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ironchef

Well I decided with the latex 570, thanks to everyone that helped me decide

Christian @ 2CT Media

HP supposedly has a hybrid coming Q1 and Ricoh has been telling us their new machine will be faster than HP and dry with less heat due to their new ink chemistry.