• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki or Rolland ?

Vance Cassaro

I’m new to the industry, and am in the market for a wide format printer for decals, stickers and banners. Any suggestions on a decent machine that won’t brake the bank?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
They're both good machines. Both have their pros and cons. The most important issue is the tech support afterwards. Anyone can make ya a good deal, but buying the supplies like inks and parts and if you need someone to come over to work on it..... that's where they gotcha. So, while you might pay a little more or less, you need to think of the 'down the road' syndrome.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I’m new to the industry, and am in the market for a wide format printer for decals, stickers and banners. Any suggestions on a decent machine that won’t brake the bank?

I can help you out and I am local to you, you should seriously look at a Latex 115 printer with cutter, call me up I can help 714-878-7989 Im Josh

Vance Cassaro

They're both good machines. Both have their pros and cons. The most important issue is the tech support afterwards. Anyone can make ya a good deal, but buying the supplies like inks and parts and if you need someone to come over to work on it..... that's where they gotcha. So, while you might pay a little more or less, you need to think of the 'down the road' syndrome.
I have heard horror stories about the Mimaki having poor customer service, but the Rolland is so expensive. Thanks for the help!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I have heard horror stories about the Mimaki having poor customer service, but the Rolland is so expensive. Thanks for the help!

In that case, then you already know 2 machines not to consider, based upon your own findings. I would imagine your title would've been better saying, OTHER than Mimaki or Roland.... what machines will be a good candidate ??

equippaint

There are horror stories for everything ever sold. Buying through a good reputable dealer is what will make the largest difference. I have had no issues with my Mimaki and honestly don't recall seeing many people with Mimaki issues on here either.

TomK

If you want quality prints for your stickers look at the Epson S series. These are the only solvent printers currently on the market that are near photographic quality prints.

Vance Cassaro

There are horror stories for everything ever sold. Buying through a good reputable dealer is what will make the largest difference. I have had no issues with my Mimaki and honestly don't recall seeing many people with Mimaki issues on here either.
This is true!

Vance Cassaro

If you want quality prints for your stickers look at the Epson S series. These are the only solvent printers currently on the market that are near photographic quality prints.
Ok thanks I will definitely look into that machine as well.

JaySea20

IMO the Pantone Spot coloring on the roland is worth the added cost. Dont have to worry near as much about color profiling. Just tell it what PMS you want and it prints it!

CanuckSigns

IMO the Pantone Spot coloring on the roland is worth the added cost. Dont have to worry near as much about color profiling. Just tell it what PMS you want and it prints it!
Not true at all, there are a ton of pantone colours that the roland machines (or any digital printer for that matter) can't hit, certainly out of the box no printer is going to just print pantone colours perfectly, there is a ton of work involved in getting correct colour.

JaySea20

Not true at all, there are a ton of pantone colours that the roland machines (or any digital printer for that matter) can't hit, certainly out of the box no printer is going to just print pantone colours perfectly, there is a ton of work involved in getting correct colour.

I guess I wasn't clear what I meant. I don't mean that the Roland will print every pantone color correctly without some work on profiling. And there are colors that are just out of gamut. What I meant was that the spot coloring has a repeatability factor that is extremely helpful for repeat business. Once you set up the file with embedded spot colors, it will print the same color everytime. Vs CMYK or RGB and having to worry about color workspaces along with other rip settings.

henryz

They are all facts but, it all comes down to what you want the printer to do if you said decals and banners, what sizes of banners? if your focus is just decals then a small printer could be the choice. To each their own but I like Roland for many reasons especially the service. You have a lot of support here in Southern Cali. Since you are starting of you will certainly begin to grow and want to do bigger better things. From decals to larger graphics and banners just my 2 cents.

CanuckSigns

I guess I wasn't clear what I meant. I don't mean that the Roland will print every pantone color correctly without some work on profiling. And there are colors that are just out of gamut. What I meant was that the spot coloring has a repeatability factor that is extremely helpful for repeat business. Once you set up the file with embedded spot colors, it will print the same color everytime. Vs CMYK or RGB and having to worry about color workspaces along with other rip settings.

I'm still not sure that is correct, up until 2 days ago I've only ever run Roland printers for the last 13 years, I know Roland says that the Roland colour system library prints the same colour across all medias, But i havn't found that to be true, someone else with more experience in colour management feel free to chime in here but I'm pretty sure that without making your own profiles for each media which would account for the different white point of all your media, ink absorption etc. you physically can not make that claim.

As far as I can tell the roland colour system is no different from any other spot colour library such as pantone, I don't think versaworks treats roland colours any differently.

Vance Cassaro

They are all facts but, it all comes down to what you want the printer to do if you said decals and banners, what sizes of banners? if your focus is just decals then a small printer could be the choice. To each their own but I like Roland for many reasons especially the service. You have a lot of support here in Southern Cali. Since you are starting of you will certainly begin to grow and want to do bigger better things. From decals to larger graphics and banners just my 2 cents.
Thanks for the help!

opsigno

omari
Hello.
Personally I have a mimaki for 7 years, no problem. She can work without stopping. Just take care of daily maintenance because dust and moisture are the worst enemies.
Good luck.