• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki UCJV 300 Beeps trying to print, then dead

adub

Our Mimaki UCJV 300 had been running fine, all the sudden mid print it froze. No error on the screen, the keypad is frozen, print carriage stopped in the middle mid print. If we power off, and power on it will run a test plot fine, but if we send a job after about 2 minutes of getting ready to print, it beeps, then keypad is bricked again with no error shown on screen. Running out of Onyx, but also does the same thing from Rasterlink via USB. Had been running fine for years with no changes to our setup.
Firmware version 2.4.0
Anyone have any ideas on what to try?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Boot up the machine and don't send a job to it. Then go to the Information menu and check the error history. Hopefully whatever error is occurring has been logged and that will give more info about what's going on. Unfortunately my first hunch is a main board malfunction but it could be many other things.

Smoke_Jaguar

Man who touches printers inappropriately.
Looks like a possible parameter/firmware issue based on service manual. Could be the main EPL board, or a parameter and firmware reload *might* fix it.

Attachments

• 81b.png
    81b.png
    76.1 KB · Views: 13

netsol

we could be cockeyed optomists.
power down, unplug from outlet
wait 30 minutes. press power switch a few times (wait again 5 minutes & reseat all plug in connectors.)
(Perhaps flush all with a zero residue contact cleaner.)
reseat system memory
if you have the ability, resolder (CAREFULLY!) all pcb mounted connectors (everything a cable plugs in to)
with a tooth brush and isopropyl (or a good flux solvent ) scrub the connectors you just resoldered (scrub even if you didn't resolder them)

these basic things often work (certainly not always but, if these things save 5% of boards, i ALWAYS GIVE IT A TRY before purchasing a board)

Smoke_Jaguar

EPL boards are pricey mofos. Here's hoping it is something silly/cheap. Description hints at a stack overflow, so corrupted firmware is my guess. That said, something zorched on the board can cause similar issues as well. If they have the super secret firmware/parameter tool, then they can attempt a download/backup of the parameters to see if the board is able to read/send them.

adub

Great thank you for the insight, I didn’t really have a good place to start. Nothing visually bad on the board, I’ll clean out the connections and give that a go, tried to update the firmware but got the “special version of firmware that can’t be updated” message

Smoke_Jaguar

Yeah, that is a total rabbit hole of BS. Firmware update requires a special software too given to tech for most current printers.

netsol

Looks like a possible parameter/firmware issue based on service manual. Could be the main EPL board, or a parameter and firmware reload *might* fix it.
then he should, at a minimum, remove the "button battery" (2032 or whatever it is) invert the battery, (easier than finding the cmos clear jumper) and leave in place for about 10 minutes
insert a fresh battery and power up
again, i am being a cockeyed optomist, but, you would hate to be one of the 5-8 out of 100 who would have had a success and not have tried.
that would be kind of like throwing away a winning lottery ticket.

can he purchase a copy of the software from someone on ebay or one of the other sites?
nonvolatile memory does sometimes get corrupted & a reload COULD yield a success. i wish mimaki was one of my strong points & i could be more help