• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Mimaki UJV100-160 printhead failure.

StickerSticker

Printer is about almost 2 years old.
Last year printer was ghosting and printhead 1 was having problems with black that cleaning would not help. It is unknown if these problems are related.
IMG_20240416_091537.jpg

A tech came out and replaced the mainboard (fixed the ghosting) and printhead. This fixed the problem, everything was good.

Recently printhead 2 is failing in the same way.
PXL_20240416_162301922.jpg

Does this look familiar to anyone? Is this a known problem?

Ogre

I had a similar issue with my Mimaki and ended up being bad quality capping. Your head cleaning is not working as it should. If your issue is the capping station then during head cleaning process just the nozzle spray is working and the vacuum pump cannot pull the clogged ink from the nozzles.
In my case, everything started with a bit of nozzle deflection like yours and slowly continuing to blocked nozzles ending with the lost of two channels, the issue extending like a plague to the neighbouring colours.
I did replace the dampers, capping station, vacuum pump. The mistake that I made, I changed the original capping station with a capping station bought from Aliexpress... twice. Third time I did replace the capping station with one bought from Digiprint Supplies that solved the problem after a couple of normal cleaning cycles.
What I would suggest is to put the printer in service mode, go to Test and open all cartridge valves. Disconnect the line from the vacuum pump and using a syringe try to pull ink through the vacuum line. If you get nothing that means the capping station does not seal properly and you pull air instead of ink. Change the capping station immediately with a good quality one, check or re-adjust the capping position just in case and repeat the syringe test. An overnight nozzle wash helps as well.
It could be also the vacuum pump but as I know the pumps used in these printers are quite reliable. Do a pump test just in case.

StickerSticker

Thank you for your prompt and through reply. Verry much appreciated. Mimaki is going to replace it under warranty (we pay labor, capping station, and dampers).