• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki UV inks expire sometimes in a month, beware

westsign1

We bought a Mimaki UV printer in Sept. 1 bottle expired in Oct. then you have 60 day before printer will not operate

netsol

sounds like a shifty reseller, taking advantage of you.
i know no one keeos the Mutoh MP31 inks in stock, shortbdate is a constant hassle

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The short shelf life of UV inks is a common problem. As a Mimaki dealer we only stock inks that we have a large customer base for to avoid them expiring on our shelf or making customers mad when they see the shot date. All others we drop ship to get the freshest date. If you had the machine shipped directly to you from Mimaki, your dealer most likely had nothing to do with it. Ink starter kits are always shipped to the address the machine is shipped to directly from Mimaki. In any case I would ask for a credit or some new ink bottles. It's not an unreasonable ask, especially on a new machine.

netsol

This may be on your reseller, Mimaki does not sell ink with less than 3 mos before expiration on the bottle.
it's a tough situation. i get annoyed when my reseller says they have to drop ship my ink, but, i don't want to say "of course ink that expires in 6 weeks is ok". i just got a MP31 magenta the other day that expires in the middle of 2024. (my first MP31 purchase, just to get past an ink_end error). so, you would think inks have to sit on the shelf a fairly long time to be that short dated.

unless the mimaki inks start out with a shorter time

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
it's a tough situation. i get annoyed when my reseller says they have to drop ship my ink, but, i don't want to say "of course ink that expires in 6 weeks is ok". i just got a MP31 magenta the other day that expires in the middle of 2024. (my first MP31 purchase, just to get past an ink_end error). so, you would think inks have to sit on the shelf a fairly long time to be that short dated.

unless the mimaki inks start out with a shorter time
I know on the Mutoh solvent MS31 inks, even when they expire the printer lets you keep printing like nothing is wrong. Do the UV Mutoh inks actulaly lock you out?

Smoke_Jaguar

If you have access to a 1-wire interface, the 13th hex value can be incremented by 2 to buy you another year. If you don't, just ask and I can send you a programmed chip with a different date to use. Just ask that you swap me out an old chip in exchange. The chips are rewritable and can be used thousands of times technically.

Or, do the first redneck trick I used, set the printer time/date back a year. Works great on a UJF-6042 MK1.

Plan on posting a tutorial video soon on cracking and rewriting Mimaki chips soon. Only takes about $12 in parts.

Attachments

• 13thValue.png
    13thValue.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

Forty One

I'm currently having an issue with my mimaki. UJF 3042.
Inks are 2 months out from expiry (March 2023) but my printer won't let me use it. Currently I have a machine waiting to have 'ink fill up' on my white carts because I tried a few "work arounds".

Indigo

If you have access to a 1-wire interface, the 13th hex value can be incremented by 2 to buy you another year. If you don't, just ask and I can send you a programmed chip with a different date to use. Just ask that you swap me out an old chip in exchange. The chips are rewritable and can be used thousands of times technically.

Or, do the first redneck trick I used, set the printer time/date back a year. Works great on a UJF-6042 MK1.

Plan on posting a tutorial video soon on cracking and rewriting Mimaki chips soon. Only takes about $12 in parts.
I know this is an old post, but did you ever get a chance to make a video tutorial? What do I need to buy to connect the chip to my computer? I don't see much information out there and I don't want to buy a re-setter device. Thank you!