• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mini Flyer Critique

Stagecraft

I'm not in "the market", we're in a closed loop situation with a clearly defined, relatively secure client base that operates outside of the mainstream business environment.
We don't compete with shops such as yours or any franchise outlets, I was only commenting on what I've witnessed as a thirty year veteran of the trade.
I suppose I may be a bit harsh in my view of franchisees but I have a lot more respect for tradespeople that are involved in this trade by way of attaining their position through talent or training, preferably both.
I maintain that most chain outlets I've seen are to the sign trade what McDonald's and Subway are to fine dining, or the corner diner for that matter.

SignManiac

The one thing I'll give credit to as far as franchising goes, is that they are encouraged to run their operations like a business. Their overhead is typically very high and they have no choice but to charge realistic prices if they plan to stick around.

The mom and pops have zero knowledge on how to run a business successfully and figure if they undercut the legit shops they will have a competitive edge. Well we know that's not the case. All they succeed in doing is undervaluing the industry as a whole and end up going out of business eventually.

The problem is never going to go away. We have no regulation so it's a free for all. The only way to succeed in the sign business is to earn it the hard way. Learn both the business and the design end of it. With those under your belt, you won't have to worry about the competition.

Tonyfavs

I want to thank everyone for the help. I have said in the past I am not the owner. Im just an employee. Actually the only employee here.

My new boss has never been in the sign industry and can't read a damn tape measure and my former boss was very very out dated. So I have been learning from the past threads if a question should arise. I have been been in the industry for 4 years and still learning.

Thanks again for the help

Stagecraft

"The mom and pops have zero knowledge on how to run a business successfully" ...really?
After completing my initial two semester signwriting course I served my four year signwriting apprenticeship in a mom and pop operation that was already in business while I was still in grade school, they're still in business today and have passed the baton to their kids who maintain a pretty high level of professionalism.

Tony, good on 'ya, don't ever stop learning and please don't take my questions or comments as a personal attack, that was never my intention but your own comments regarding your present and previous employer speaks volumes.

Last edited:

Tonyfavs

I hate to air out my business but having the pressures of running a business without reaping the benefits gets a bit tiresome.

If you do without "of Riverhead," use a layout like SignManiac in #9.
If I were going to keep it, I'd get rid of the "of" and try putting "Riverhead" above the logo at the very top.