• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Minimum charge on small jobs?

Colin

Who employs a minimum charge for small print jobs, and how much?

I ask because I just got an order for 100 1.5" x 3" decals, and while it's only 4 sq. ft. of material, it doesn't seem right to be charging a regular square foot rate for such a small job which I had to set-up and run through the usual process.

CanuckSigns

I usually give them the option of paying a minimum charge ($40), or waiting a bit longer, and i run their job next time I am printing on that material. most people are ok with waiting, a few are in a rush.

CanuckSigns

also, the next few times you run "small jobs" time yourself how long it takes from writing up the work order, to writing up the invoice. you will be suprized how long so called "small jobs" take. Adjust your minimum accordingly.

Salmoneye

$45 minimum here. That job might fall into that category for us if it was on intermediate material and a re-order i.e. already set up and ready to print.

TheSnowman

Right now my minimum is $25, but I'm thinkin' about raising that for anything that has to be cut or printed. More like $50, so then it keeps the annoying people away when they call, and doesn't waste my time anymore.

mikey-Oh

Oh man, 100 decals?! I'd be around $1.23 per decal and get it. Simple box or intricate contour/weeding? Full color? Did you have to set it up, or did they provide true vector artwork?!

Colin

Oh man, 100 decals?! I'd be around $1.23 per decal and get it. Simple box or intricate contour/weeding? Full color? Did you have to set it up, or did they provide true vector artwork?!

It was a simple rectangle with rounded (radiused) corners. He simply told me what he wanted it to say (3-word title and a phone number), and I made it look nice with appropriate fonts, 3 colors, and added an ornamental flourish rule in between the two lines of text. He is a friend/acquaintance who I've done a bit of work for in the past, so I didn't mind spending a bit more time making it look nice. I've also supplied him with 20 extra, as 100 was such a small order.

I guess I'd just like to get a sense of what others do in such cases. If one generally charges $5.00 per square foot for output on vinyl, there's no way one could do this for $20.00

Colin

also, the next few times you run "small jobs" time yourself how long it takes from writing up the work order, to writing up the invoice. you will be suprized how long so called "small jobs" take. Adjust your minimum accordingly.

Ya, that's my point exactly.

- Discuss details of order with customer

- Design job/decal/graphic and apply proper color codes and cut-path

- Export as EPS

- Bring into RIP and makes various settings

- Place/set-up material into printer

- RIP file

- Print & cut

- Cut off and remove media from printer

- Weed

- Slice into manageable pieces on rotary trimmer

- Write up invoice

- Call to say they're ready

- Process payment

- Get taxed on profit

- Discuss on Sign forum :Big Laugh

gabagoo

It was a simple rectangle with rounded (radiused) corners. He simply told me what he wanted it to say (3-word title and a phone number), and I made it look nice with appropriate fonts, 3 colors, and added an ornamental flourish rule in between the two lines of text. He is a friend/acquaintance who I've done a bit of work for in the past, so I didn't mind spending a bit more time making it look nice. I've also supplied him with 20 extra, as 100 was such a small order.

I guess I'd just like to get a sense of what others do in such cases. If one generally charges $5.00 per square foot for output on vinyl, there's no way one could do this for $20.00

sq footage pricing on stuff like this blows..... you can figure it out that way but you will have to add a huge setup charge.

mikey-Oh

As I loosely suggested, something like these needs to be priced on a per item basis. 100 decals @ $5/sqft. Using only 6 sqft based based on decal size. $30s way too low. Means 30 cents per decal? No one looking to stay in business'll charge that. My ideal concept is at least $100/job. So you could simply phrase it as $15 setup, taking the time to justify and select a few app. fonts.... That still leaves .85 per decal. Still seems too cheap?!

Colin

There was only .125" (1/8") in between each one, so I actually only used 4 sq ft.

What about the following policy for a minimum charge:

Cut vinyl: $25.00

Digital print: $50.00

???

wes70

I believe Bob has a sliding pricing scale that would be suitable for this. I'll see if I can find it.

Mosh

Yeah, mailbox number "205" scrap vinyl used, a little tape, 5 minutes time $4.28 with tax. Thank you! I see you guys point, I have PITA customers too BUT, word of mouth is the best advertising!!!! Keep grams happy with the mailbox numbers, his grandson then orders $2,000 sign later, or not. Hey $4.28 pays for lunch here in Nebraska City, especially when they pay cash!!!!