• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mobile Decal Business

CRU Graphics

I have a full time job but I'm also considering taking my small vinyl graphics and screen printing side business on the road. I have been doing this for around 8 years and feel pretty comfortable with designing and installing. I've made decent money doing this without advertising only repeat costumers and referrals. I often drive by businesses that have simple signs out that are either fading or completely coming apart. I want to be able to go inside the business and offer my services on the spot. I have a vinyl cutter but I don't have printing capabilities, I want to grow into that. I'm trying to figure out how to go about it.

Has anyone here ever done anything like this? Any suggestion's?

CRU Graphics

Great point. I read all of that and even I have to agree the idea sounds ridiculous. BUT I honesty speaking this wouldn’t make any sense for a well-established business to try. I’m not even close to that. I do good work with good turnarounds but in a very small scale. Meaning I do it when someone asks for it and I don’t count on that income whatsoever, it’s just nice when I do. I guess I’m thinking more like driving around on my spare time and offering my services on simple decal jobs and hopefully upselling. For bigger jobs I can do those at home but the main thing is to establish a relationship and have people refer me for future jobs. I’m just looking for ways to be productive doing what I love to do and making some money on the side. I’m open to ideas.

reQ

As was mentioned in another topic - this does not make any sense. You will waste more time/money driving around. If you do it on your spare time, keep doing it from your home. Set up a facebook page / website to get more customers. I don't think people would care to much that you will drive to their house/business to cut decals at the spot.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Great point. I read all of that and even I have to agree the idea sounds ridiculous. BUT I honesty speaking this wouldn’t make any sense for a well-established business to try. I’m not even close to that. I do good work with good turnarounds but in a very small scale. Meaning I do it when someone asks for it and I don’t count on that income whatsoever, it’s just nice when I do. I guess I’m thinking more like driving around on my spare time and offering my services on simple decal jobs and hopefully upselling. For bigger jobs I can do those at home but the main thing is to establish a relationship and have people refer me for future jobs. I’m just looking for ways to be productive doing what I love to do and making some money on the side. I’m open to ideas.

Ya know, you're just about 100 years behind the times. They used to have the rag man who walked the streets yelling rags to sell. Later they became department stores. They used to have door to door salesman for just any product under the sun...... they also sold out to the department store idea. Even the milkman used to bring milk to your door, if ya ordered it. Again, gotta go to the store.

If you think this is a good idea for someone who has nothing to lose, why don't you invest in an Ice Cream truck ?? There's something you can drive around and people will buy. When it gets cold, then go plow snow. That's also something ya hafta drive around for, too.

For an idea that is pure dumb, if you really wanna pursue it, just do it. Don't listen to all these business people that are already in the sign business..... what do they know ?? :ROFLMAO:

hcardwell93

What about when you need to change substrates? Got a table saw and sheets of ACP or polycarb in the back too?

When I'm driving and I see a worn out sign I stop and make a sales call. Then I go to my shop, make it and return to install. The customer is happy and I've never gotten the vibe that they would have been 10% happier if I did it in the parking lot.

OldPaint

heres mine!!!!!!!!!!!!
i guess i should fill in the time frame on this and how it worked.
2000-2005.
worked very well as i only had 24" roland plotter and laptop computer to contend with as mechanicals..............
I ALSO SPLASHED A LOT OF PAINT!!!!!!!!! there was still a few who wanted it and the printers hadnt taken over for pictorial painting.
i ran the truck all that time, i was diagnosed with bladder cancer 2004.........and the PRICE OF GAS WENT TO ALMOST 4 A GAL...... and a vehicle that size only got 8 MPG!!!!! so i parked it.
i really had a lot of fun with it. took it to car shows, mud races, and anywhere they would let me in..........couple places i went to they wanted $100 vendor fee..........and i just laughed at them and left..

Attachments

• shop tk.jpg
    shop tk.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 388

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I've known a few guys who setup to do mobile sign making, but it was tied into a special circumstance or event. Two were working a movie set and when it was done they parked their trucks and returned to brick and mortar. The other had a great gig with one of the tennis tours. He did about eight or nine tournaments a year and made enough to be in the upper 10% of income earners. When there wasn't a tournament, he vacationed.

There isn't a compelling reason to setup to do what you suggest. There is no particular demand for onsite decal making and the proven winner of a business model is based on making a broader range of products and in building relationships for repeat business. You could drive around and solicit prospects who look like they might need some work, take their orders and come back after making them. There is a huge benefit in selling sign work to establishing your credibility as the guy who will actually be doing the work. Actually being there to do the work immediately makes it an impulse buy and is the least likely way to build lasting relationships with clients.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
heres mine!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's a whole lot different. Back then, you only carried paint, brushes, charcoal, turps and simple things. This guy wants to carry around plotters, computers and eventually printers..... along with substrates, saws and other fun toys. He needs a tractor trailer to do what he wants to do. He hasta be ready for anything that someone asks him for..... or else look like a fool not having what the customer wants.

Yep, can see it now............

Knock, knock, knock
May I help you ??
Your sign looks like sh!t. Can I make you a new one ??
Can you have it done by 2:30 today ??
Yep
How much ??
Sounds good. I want it with my new logo and made out of western red cedar.
Oh, I don't have that stuff and I don't even know where to get that cedar stuff.
Okay, forget it.
Putt.... putt...... putt :covereyes:

CRU Graphics

As was mentioned in another topic - this does not make any sense. You will waste more time/money driving around. If you do it on your spare time, keep doing it from your home. Set up a facebook page / website to get more customers. I don't think people would care to much that you will drive to their house/business to cut decals at the spot.

Thank you for the advice. I'm also curious how someone goes about having a place online where people submit orders and I just fulfill them.

reQ

Thank you for the advice. I'm also curious how someone goes about having a place online where people submit orders and I just fulfill them.

Online store. You can do it yourself if you want a basic one with minimal investment. Or pay some one who will set up nice e-commerce site.

I went 2nd route since i have no idea how its done.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks

Just about any website host has some sort of e-commerce setup....usually plug and play. If yours doesn't check around with other hosts.

Warmoth

I thought about this when I read the other thread. It sounds absurd, but looking back... It's kind of how my dad started our business. :smile:

trailer.jpg
trailer2.jpg
(1998)

But, we primarily worked out of our house. We went to car shows on the weekends. My dad Airbrushed T-Shirts, and made decals for all the car guys. It had a 15" plotter on board. It functioned for quick little jobs. But the house is where actual signs were taken care of.

It was a stepping stone that helped propel us to renting a small space to work out of. And now we own a 5,200 sq ft shop.
So, I'd say it's technically possible (15 years ago anyways...) but like others have pointed out, it just doesn't really sound necessary in your case.

CRU Graphics

Holy crap, you guys are brutal with honesty. I like it! That's exactly why people like me post here. What might sound like a good idea to me may sound stupid to someone who has been through it. I can take all the constructive criticism, I will only be thankful for someone being blunt.

I want to go with the build a website idea but I've always wondered how you go about building a clientele. I'm sure there are millions of people doing the same thing. I'm very open to the idea.

Anyone here know how to get started?