• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Modifying Roland Gs-24 to Graphtec style

Shawnclift

Hi Everyone

A bit of a different one here. I’m currently thinking of turning my Roland GS-24 from a cutting strip to a groove like on the Graphtec. I’m kind of sick of changing the cutting strip haha. I just wanted to know, as I don’t own a Graphtec yet, is there anything special with the perf-cut channel? Or is it just a channel, and it works because of the Graphtec spring-loaded cutter blade? Any insight into this would be amazing .

Thanks a lot in advanced.

Shawn

Shawnclift

Blade is in another position altogether. IMO ditch the Roland and buy a Graphtec.
Hi

I know the Graphtec has a cutting strip, but I mean is the Perf channel anything special or is it the spring blade that makes it so you can Perf-cut cleanly ?

Currently, lack of space stops me from buying a graphtec as I would want the bigger one :).

rjssigns

Hi

I know the Graphtec has a cutting strip, but I mean is the Perf channel anything special or is it the spring blade that makes it so you can Perf-cut cleanly ?

Currently, lack of space stops me from buying a graphtec as I would want the bigger one :).
Graphtec has a dedicated channel, your Roland doesn't. Not sure how you'd overcome that.

Shawnclift

I'm going to experiment and engineer an attachment :).
I just need to know if there's anything special with the Graphtec channel or the blade holder, as I don't have one to see ? If there's nothing special with these apart from its just a small gap, then perfect :).

Shawnclift

Well I see the debate on Graphtec vs Summa all the time, and since I run a Summa I'm partial to the cut strip, but that doesn't mean I haven't given it a lot of thought! ;p
I Die-cut a lot and I have the cheap Chinese strip which isn't a problem, but I honestly think I can design and make a fast swap track, so I can swap them over quickly from Cutting strip to Perf groove ( in my head it will work ) .

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Mimaki fixes this problem by simply using a sponge material instead of rubber. Might be something worth trying in your experiment.