• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Product More Attentive

ikarasu

Ickyragu, how is picking up the phone book and calling someone you know nothing about any better than taking a gamble on this guy who at least knows something about the industry?

Because I'm not hiring someone to make signs for me, I'd be hiring someone to provide me with tools to improve my business.... For that I want someone who's proven to be, and specializes in business consulting... not someone who is dabbling in it because he's bored of, or couldn't make it in the sign industry.

Running a sign shop has its quirks... but it's like running any business. Listen to customers, adapt to customers needs... It's all stuff every business should be capable of doing.

It's the same reason a good sign shop learns to outsource and not do everything in house. Sure, I can make 100 10 FT Banners.. But I don't Specialize in Making banners... Why would I do that when I can sub it out, get them hemmed/grommeted by sewing them, rather than provide an inferior taped product?

Robert has 20 years in the signmaking business, which is great on him. But what qualifications make him an exceptional business coach/advisor? The only real praise I've heard on the forums is he's good at sharpening scissors... I havent heard much in the way of his coaching, besides one guy. I did a google search and went to the about me page on the first result of a place close to me, here are the persons qualifications - Sounds like theres a few valid certifications out there... ones that are very easy to get

• Professional Certified Coach (PCC) International Coach Federation (ICF)
  • Certified Executive Coach, (CEC) Royal Roads University
  • Designing your Life – Certified Coach
  • Portfolio Entrepreneur with 20 years experience as a Business Mentor and Strategist
  • Facilitator and Mentor – Forum for Women Entrepreneurs (FWE)
  • Design Thinking + Innovation – Sauder School of Business – Queens University

It's the same reason when my toilet gets clogged I don't hire the random guy on craigslist who will plumb the drain for $20, and I goto the shop that wants to charge me $200. sometimes you get what you pay for, and when you're business/house is on the line... you don't cheap out. And again.. no offence to Robert, but if he was serious about coaching... Maybe take some of the classes/degrees... Most of them seem to be a week or two long course... Theyre probably useless, but at least it gives some credibility to what you're trying to do

ikarasu

ikarasu First of all, thank you for your feedback. You have given me lots to think about. I appreciate it.
If you are willing, I would like to see if we could take your input and narrow it down to what is most important to you. For now, I will guess. My guess might be way off. One of my favorite topics is about something you brought up here. That topic is your "To-Do list." Again, that topic may not be important to you. If it is, then I do have some tips that I learned from my resources. ikarasu I am attempting to respond to your reasonable directions. Pick a topic on "make my business better" and I will respond, right here on this forum. Or, maybe you would rather not. In summary, from your own perspective, when it comes to improving your own business, what might be at the top of your list?

To-Do lists are a must for me. I used to operate the printers while doing tons of other stuff... now I'm so busy we just replaced myself as an operator, and all I do is production management.

If I didn't have to do lists, or tasks... the shop would be crazy and I wouldnt get anything done.

I don't know how useful to do lists are to others though - For the position I'm in at my company theyre great... But our company does everything from tiny decals to road signs, to license plates... We have so much going on in different departments, so whats good for my shop may not be whats good for everyone.

So I'll let someone else pick a topic - I'm sure someone has something, and I'm sure people would love a sneak peak at what services you provide!

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Robert, you claim to be a professional writer but what we see from your posts is anything but professional. It's hard to follow your train of thought and logic.

ikarasu First of all, thank you for your feedback. You have given me lots to think about. I appreciate it.
If you are willing, I would like to see if we could take your input and narrow it down to what is most important to you. For now, I will guess. My guess might be way off. One of my favorite topics is about something you brought up here. That topic is your "To-Do list." Again, that topic may not be important to you. If it is, then I do have some tips that I learned from my resources.

This could be condensed into: Thanks for the feedback. I'm interested in To-Do Lists and have some advice for you.

OK Robert...you say all that and give no advise on To-Do lists.... Goes along with every other post you have... providing no substance.

ikarasu I am attempting to respond to your reasonable directions. Pick a topic on "make my business better" and I will respond, right here on this forum. Or, maybe you would rather not. In summary, from your own perspective, when it comes to improving your own business, what might be at the top of your list?

This could be condensed into: Ask me something about making my business better and we'll see if I can help.

See Robert... clear plain English is what people want...not this cryptic crap that you have to read and re-read just to understand what you're trying to say...and after all that work trying to figure it out what you mean... you realize there is absolutely no useful information there. This is not the work of a "professional writer."

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Because I'm not hiring someone to make signs for me, I'd be hiring someone to provide me with tools to improve my business.... For that I want someone who's proven to be, and specializes in business consulting... not someone who is dabbling in it because he's bored of, or couldn't make it in the sign industry.

Running a sign shop has its quirks... but it's like running any business. Listen to customers, adapt to customers needs... It's all stuff every business should be capable of doing.

It's the same reason a good sign shop learns to outsource and not do everything in house. Sure, I can make 100 10 FT Banners.. But I don't Specialize in Making banners... Why would I do that when I can sub it out, get them hemmed/grommeted by sewing them, rather than provide an inferior taped product?

Robert has 20 years in the signmaking business, which is great on him. But what qualifications make him an exceptional business coach/advisor? The only real praise I've heard on the forums is he's good at sharpening scissors... I havent heard much in the way of his coaching, besides one guy. I did a google search and went to the about me page on the first result of a place close to me, here are the persons qualifications - Sounds like theres a few valid certifications out there... ones that are very easy to get

• Professional Certified Coach (PCC) International Coach Federation (ICF)
  • Certified Executive Coach, (CEC) Royal Roads University
  • Designing your Life – Certified Coach
  • Portfolio Entrepreneur with 20 years experience as a Business Mentor and Strategist
  • Facilitator and Mentor – Forum for Women Entrepreneurs (FWE)
  • Design Thinking + Innovation – Sauder School of Business – Queens University

It's the same reason when my toilet gets clogged I don't hire the random guy on craigslist who will plumb the drain for $20, and I goto the shop that wants to charge me $200. sometimes you get what you pay for, and when you're business/house is on the line... you don't cheap out. And again.. no offence to Robert, but if he was serious about coaching... Maybe take some of the classes/degrees... Most of them seem to be a week or two long course... Theyre probably useless, but at least it gives some credibility to what you're trying to do
Again playing devil's advocate, even many credentialed people suck at what they do. He offers a free deal so if that's something you are looking for it's pretty harmless. Don't get me wrong I understand what everyone's saying. I also see that those poking him (myself included) are the people that would never use his services even if he was the cats ass.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Robert, you have heard this may different ways from several people. I've probably said it 3 or 4 times and you're not "listening." There are many posts on here a business consultant could chime in on and show how valuable their services are, or even provide humor, but you don't. Instead, you offer a free peek behind the door constantly and topics you cheerlead on. Free advice should be shown in the forum and you will get people thinking, "Wow, I like what Robert has to offer, maybe he could really help me." Instead, we get posts about scissor sharpening and at one point you forced in your buzzed word "listen" to dozens of posts where it didn't really fit.

Posts that a business consultant could add something to that would help convince people of your value, you may not have the answers but a business consultant should be able to provide some direction.

https://signs101.com/threads/does-this-ever-happen-to-you.162756/#post-1513849
https://signs101.com/threads/install-checklist.162680/
https://signs101.com/threads/anyone-have-a-good-response-to-this-google-review.162788/
https://signs101.com/threads/how-do-you-handle-this-type-of-deal.162723/

I am sure there have been a lot more in the last year.

Justin Pate had a little bit of a rocky start. ''How to wrap a van in 4 hours'' He got criticized for his dismal cleaning. He was trying to illustrate that the actual wrapping doesn't take that long if you create good techniques and don't waste time. In the video, the van was already clean and he was just wiping off any dust that may have settled on it, but it looked like he made a half-*** attempt at cleaning. He continued to provide lots of free videos and created a vocabulary for installation before he made a penny. Now he's one of the top trainers and has thousands of people paying $99 a year for his online videos and gets paid thousand to fly from the Netherlands to teach Avery classes. Prove to them you are worthy and they will flock to your services

Like Ikarasu, I don't have anything against you personally and I hope you succeed in something, but your cheerleader/psychotherapist style posts rubbed me the wrong way from the very first one.

Adapt and good luck.
Jester1167 I personally identify with your Justin Pate story. I see myself as being in the very early stages of trying to find a way to provide value to sign makers. I do not intend to fail. Each thread that I post is my own attempt to find out what might trigger some genuine interest. When my threads seem to fail, I use that failure as an opportunity to learn. And, let me assure you that your feedback is welcome and appreciated. It just so happens that the sign-making industry is my favorite, by far.
I often think about Charles Monroe "Sparky" Schulz, the author of Dr. Seuss "Peanuts" books. I have heard that 80 publishers turned him down before he found one who agreed to publish "And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street." and Thomas Edison who failed hundreds of times before he figured how to make a light bulb work.
I will watch for Threads like the ones you listed. We shall see.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Robert, you claim to be a professional writer but what we see from your posts is anything but professional. It's hard to follow your train of thought and logic.

This could be condensed into: Thanks for the feedback. I'm interested in To-Do Lists and have some advice for you.

OK Robert...you say all that and give no advise on To-Do lists.... Goes along with every other post you have... providing no substance.

This could be condensed into: Ask me something about making my business better and we'll see if I can help.

See Robert... clear plain English is what people want...not this cryptic crap that you have to read and re-read just to understand what you're trying to say...and after all that work trying to figure it out what you mean... you realize there is absolutely no useful information there. This is not the work of a "professional writer."
Texas_Signmaker Did you notice that ikarasu plainly said he did not want my advice about "To-Do lists"?
Watch for my upcoming Thread. It will be titled something like your statement, "Ask me something about making my business better and we'll see if I can help."
So far, I have posted various topics. Some respond that they have absolutely no interest. Others simply "lurk."
Watch for my next Thread.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Texas_Signmaker Did you notice that ikarasu plainly said he did not want my advice about "To-Do lists"?
Watch for my upcoming Thread. It will be titled something like your statement, "Ask me something about making my business better and we'll see if I can help."
So far, I have posted various topics. Some respond that they have absolutely no interest. Others simply "lurk."
Watch for my next Thread.

Well, you're listening so that's good. We'll teach you everything you need to know on how to mentor us.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Again playing devil's advocate, even many credentialed people suck at what they do. He offers a free deal so if that's something you are looking for it's pretty harmless. Don't get me wrong I understand what everyone's saying. I also see that those poking him (myself included) are the people that would never use his services even if he was the cats ***.
Notarealsignguy Thank you for your perspective. My primary concern is about delivering value. No two people see value in the same way. I am thankful that one Signs101 member has found value in working with me. Now I am watching to find one more. That could happen today. Or, it could take months. We shall see. I am learning.

ikarasu

Technically I pointed out that advice on To-do lists wouldn't help me after the reply Texas was quoting you saying... ;) And it wasnt so much that I don't want your advice, More over I'd rather you post something that can help everyone and drum you up some clientele.

This is a Forum - People take turns replying... Bashing eachother, saying whatever they want. You don't need my permission or need to wait for me to ask for help on To-do lists. If you see a topic posted and you have something to say... Give your advice if you want, everyone else does.

You said you To-Do lists are one of your favorite topics. So even though I may not personally benefit from it... It might be something you should make a thread about, or offer advice on. Generally what you're passionate at is what you're good at - I never reply to Accounting threads because I'd end up making the guy trying to balance his books go bankrupt with how good I am at accounting... Stick with what you know! I read all your threads, so maybe something you write about to-do lists will help, who knows!

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Technically I pointed out that advice on To-do lists wouldn't help me after the reply Texas was quoting you saying... ;) And it wasnt so much that I don't want your advice, More over I'd rather you post something that can help everyone and drum you up some clientele.

This is a Forum - People take turns replying... Bashing eachother, saying whatever they want. You don't need my permission or need to wait for me to ask for help on To-do lists. If you see a topic posted and you have something to say... Give your advice if you want, everyone else does.

You said you To-Do lists are one of your favorite topics. So even though I may not personally benefit from it... It might be something you should make a thread about, or offer advice on. Generally what you're passionate at is what you're good at - I never reply to Accounting threads because I'd end up making the guy trying to balance his books go bankrupt with how good I am at accounting... Stick with what you know! I read all your threads, so maybe something you write about to-do lists will help, who knows!
ikarasu Thank you for your gracious response. It means a lot to me.
I will prepare a Thread on "To-Do Lists." We shall see.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Evidently robert, you're having trouble following along your own thread and responses. You already attempted to answer this one. You failed, but you did try.

You're never sure of what I'm asking, yet so many other say the exact same thing. I'm trying very hard to be nice and keep it all somewhat cordial.

No need to guess, if you'd just pay attention and stop answering with silly comebacks. I know there is a difference between listening and being more attentive. Anyone knows that, so I don't know what point you're trying to make, other than a condescending remark aimed at me. To appear to be more attentive, one only needs to act like a sponge and keep eye contact to have the appearance of listening deeply, while forming their next question. While listening with your ears, don't be like pelosi and shuffle papers, look off in the distance, slouch or just plain being rude. How long can you stay focused ?? Do you need to concentrate in order to listen ?? You come across as being very irritable when someone questions you, but cover it up with BS see-thru kindness.

Your take on errors, do-overs and mistakes are just natural everyday occurrences. If you narrow all of your thoughts down to exactly what you are doing and not multitask whatsoever, your workload is gonna backup like crazy. If you can only handle one thought at a time to stay focused and attentive, I have a different definition for that attentiveness.

Now, we come to the last part of your post. What you called the second question was the first, as I already mentioned.

So, as being a consultant, teacher, a tour guide or whatever you're calling yourself today, you are failing at getting things across, not just to me, but to quite a few people on this site. Is that truly your goal..... to confuse the entire community ?? I tend to think it is YOU that needs to heed your own risk and possibly seek the change. As you said, it is an important detail. Review it carefully and govern yourself accordingly.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Evidently robert, you're having trouble following along your own thread and responses. You already attempted to answer this one. You failed, but you did try.

You're never sure of what I'm asking, yet so many other say the exact same thing. I'm trying very hard to be nice and keep it all somewhat cordial.

No need to guess, if you'd just pay attention and stop answering with silly comebacks. I know there is a difference between listening and being more attentive. Anyone knows that, so I don't know what point you're trying to make, other than a condescending remark aimed at me. To appear to be more attentive, one only needs to act like a sponge and keep eye contact to have the appearance of listening deeply, while forming their next question. While listening with your ears, don't be like pelosi and shuffle papers, look off in the distance, slouch or just plain being rude. How long can you stay focused ?? Do you need to concentrate in order to listen ?? You come across as being very irritable when someone questions you, but cover it up with BS see-thru kindness.

Your take on errors, do-overs and mistakes are just natural everyday occurrences. If you narrow all of your thoughts down to exactly what you are doing and not multitask whatsoever, your workload is gonna backup like crazy. If you can only handle one thought at a time to stay focused and attentive, I have a different definition for that attentiveness.

Now, we come to the last part of your post. What you called the second question was the first, as I already mentioned.

So, as being a consultant, teacher, a tour guide or whatever you're calling yourself today, you are failing at getting things across, not just to me, but to quite a few people on this site. Is that truly your goal..... to confuse the entire community ?? I tend to think it is YOU that needs to heed your own risk and possibly seek the change. As you said, it is an important detail. Review it carefully and govern yourself accordingly.
Gino This is your second question. "Don't gatcha Aslo, says who it will singlehandedly ??" Yes, I completely fail to understand your question.