• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

More vibrant colours, how to achieve?

No Name

I have an old Mutoh Falcon / Signlab / VPM and I´m not pleased with the colours, they are dull.

How can I make the colours more vibrant?

There are several profiles but not directly for the materials I use (Mostly Orajet printing media).

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I have an old Mutoh Falcon / Signlab / VPM and I´m not pleased with the colours, they are dull.

How can I make the colours more vibrant?

There are several profiles but not directly for the materials I use (Mostly Orajet printing media).

Get a new machine! That's just my honest answer. Did it just start looking crappy or has it always been like that?

No Name

Get a new machine! That's just my honest answer. Did it just start looking crappy or has it always been like that?
Naah, it´s never been great but the printjobs I´ve done earlier did not need to be so colourful but now I´m doing other kind of printing.
I´m sure the problem is in finding suitable profiles for the materials I use.

dypinc

What do your profile patches look like when you create a new profile. If they are more vibrant then what you're printing then it is PEBCAK.

TimToad

I think you first have to determine whether it is a hardware or software issue.

Does the printer produce good test prints from its front controls?

If so, does your RIP software offer additional options for color enhancement beyond a specific material profile?

We use Versaworks on our Roland and Onyx on our flatbed. In Versaworks we can incorporate material specific profiles, build our own and also choose color management options separately. Try double checking all of your settings to make sure something isn't being overlooked.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
These colors which aren't vibrant enough.... or dull, are they from your software or customer's files..... or both ??

Many times when we create files, something goes goofy and we'll get dull colors. So, we hafta go back and fix them. However, when the customer sends us stuff, it's always popping and brilliant colors. So, make sure you're using the correct color swatches and see if ya need to tweak them.

OPENSignsInc.

One thing id recomend it printing off the cmyk color chart from signlab (You can find it buried in the signlab program folder on your hard drive as a .cdl). Just import, size, and print. I put our name above and hung it up on the wall, so that I can reference it when I need to match a color.
20181204_134600~2.jpg

Category5

I’ve had some luck oversaturating some colors to make the finished product more vibrant with an older Roland printer. It’s not ideal, but sometimes it gives you the desired effect. It can backfire and cause goofy looking prints, though. The only real solution is a newer printer with a wider color gamut.

No Name

One thing id recomend it printing off the cmyk color chart from signlab (You can find it buried in the signlab program folder on your hard drive as a .cdl). Just import, size, and print. I put our name above and hung it up on the wall, so that I can reference it when I need to match a color. View attachment 141384
Ok, I found the .cdl file and imported it to Signlab. What next?
VPM doesn´t support.cdl so I have to convert the file to something else that is printable.
Are you sure that the colours won´t change when exporting to some other format?
Eps, pdf, jpeg or what?

myront

CorelDRAW is best
1st choice would be pdf
2nd eps
3rd rgb tif

All depends on what options you're offered when saving to those formats. i.e. keep colors vs. convert colors etc.