• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mounting acrylic UV print to aluminum

4DPB

I am curious, you don't use a full film for the entire surface of the acrylic print? Isn't there excessive force on the ink, since the surface area is small using a tape and the ink is a point of contact between the tape and the metal?

chinaski

It's easier and cheaper to just apply tape than mess with a laminator, at least for my setup. Since I already use white ink the application to the board doesn't have to be perfect.

I've been using this method for 7 years now and have never had a delaminated print. Another key is to use a primer to ensure a high bond between ink and acrylic.

With tape, multiple separate anchor points help keep the print mounted and diffuse stress; whereas with film, I can imagine, shear or bending stress performing much worse.

Try it out and let me know how it works.

chinaski

Question where do you place the tape. Only around the edges or also in the center?
I place the tape around the edge and also vertical strips spaced 10-20cm apart depending on size. Multiple shorter strips of tape (<50cm) are going to make a stronger bond than long full-length strips.

4DPB

Also what thickness of tape do you use? Most of my experience is in metal sublimation and we use a self adhesive PVC cleat system that has been amazing both cost wise (almost the same cost as VHB tape per inch.

chinaski

Thank you. What types of backing have you used? MaxMetal? or other brands of ACM?
I'm in Europe, so my main options are Neobond and the original 3A composites. As a backing, it doesn't make any noticeable difference in terms of adhesion—maybe 3A cuts are marginally cleaner.

chinaski

Also what thickness of tape do you use? Most of my experience is in metal sublimation and we use a self adhesive PVC cleat system that has been amazing both cost wise (almost the same cost as VHB tape per inch.
12 micron polyester film. 3M or Orafol both work equally.

It's a very forgiving method and low failure rate. The bond between the ink and acrylic will be the weak point as opposed to the bond between the tape and ink or the bond between tape and backing. Keep your ink limits low and also use a primer and you shouldn't have any problems