• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Moving FONTS - help!

Colin

This may be a stupid question, but I'm attempting to move all of the fonts from my old computer to the new one. Under the WINDOWS folder > FONTS, it doesn't offer me the option to do the good ol' "copy" (then paste to a 2 gig thumb drive). I can "move" them to the thumb drive, but even when I omit the VGA res ones, it does 2 wacky things: it still causes the titles of all windows to go to garbly goop, and also changes the names of the last 50 fonts or so to: TT0811M_ttf for example, on the thumb drive.

I feel I should know how to do such a simple task - am blushing.

njsigns

What version of windows? I just went to C:\WINNT and found the fonts folder, right clicked the folder, copy and pasted to an internal back up drive as well as an external backup drive. I am using windows 2000 pro on this machine. (pause)

Just tried on my windows XP pro machine right behind me, C:\WINDOWS found the fonts folder and the same thing, right click, copy and paste on a new drive. No problems...

Neither would let me copy the folder from the control panel...

Gene

Colin

Brand new XP, I'm doing this in Windows Explorer. It won't even allow a "copy" on a single font file.

"Computers will save us time"

Grrrr

njsigns

I tried in Windows Explorer, on both machines, navigated to the Fonts folder, wouldn't let me right click and copy on a single font in the folder, but I can right click on the actual Fonts folder in the windows tree and copy it, and paste on any other drive....

My only other suggestion at the moment would be to try navigating there by going to My Computer C:\WINDOWS and copy the whole Fonts folder. I never use Windows Explorer (not sure why, I just don't even think about it) Hope it works out for ya!

Gene

njsigns

an after-thought... are you logged in as an admin? I'm not sure if that would help, I have a migraine at the moment so my thoughts aren't as clear as I'd like them to be... But I know your frustration... Good luck!

Gene

Bigdawg

Just Me
I may be way off - I'm not too awful Windows techie - but I think the name's changing is the actual file name. When you put them back on the new machine in the Fonts folder, I think they will list with the common name instead...

Colin

Thanks all. Steve: I tried that and there's no "copy" option.
I've got 'er done though, in Windows Exploder....er, Explorer (lol), I selected all, de-selected all the VGA-res ones as well as the ones with an "O" icon beside them, and moved them to the thumb drive, dumped 'em onto the new computer and it worked. It even brought those changed file names back to what they were before. I then simply dumped 'em back to the old computer.

The world of computerdom is a huge one. I can appear like a genius when helping a friend who knows almost nothing about them, but can also appear that I've never turned one on before when in the presence of a real whiz.
The youth of today have a real advantage being raised with it from the cradle. Heck, when I was in high school, there were no computers!
Ah the good ol' days...........oh no, I am now an old fart.

Steve C.

Right Stacy, The file name is not always the font name. I think its a through back to 3.11 when files could only contain 8 charactors

Colin

While we're at it, is there a way to transfer all of my "Favourites" in Internet Explorer to the new computer?

njsigns

I have always just copied the Favorites folder, and replaced the Favorites folder it on the new machine. Works pretty well, and you don't have to delete all those annoying Windows links that they like to put into the folder. It can be found at C:\Documents and Settings\(your name or login)

Favorites should be located in that folder on XP as well as 2000 (just checked both)

Gene