• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh 1204 banding after firmware update

57chevy

Been having no problems with the Mutoh 1204, yesterday doing a large print, it shutdown about two thirds of the way through. Error E016 TLB-L/I [02]

Read up on this forum, restarted the machine several times, tried another print -this time shut off before half way same error.

Went to Mutoh and got the latest firmware VJ1204_V119.jfl, (was 114), updated firmware without issue. Setup the same print, hit send, the moment the printer started things were different, on each pass it seemed to hesitate before returning for next pass. In dark areas, there appears to be quarter inch wide bands, one right after another. We also noticed no heater came on and the print started printing right away without a warm up. Printer is set for graphics 2. Seems to be printing much faster than normal.

Not sure if the firmware cured the error problem, since we canceled the print the moment we saw the banding.

Any advise on how to clear the issue? There was NO quality issues prior to upgrade just the error that ruined the print.

Thanks in advance for help!
57Chevy

Stealth Ryder

Download & save parameters, Blow the NVRAM and reload the MB Firmware, The Sub-Controller Firmware, then the parameters... Curious as to the serial number or at least the first 4 characters?

57chevy

I can have that info tomorrow (serial), did a test print full size- with banding, with an inch to go the printer quite again same error. The test still had banding as well.

A few threads pointed to firmware and then motherboard / cpu problems. The machine is a couple years old but has had very limited usage, since it was originally purchased for a team to just make their race car graphics, since we've had it, it's probably ran at most ten hours total print time.

Any clue how where to get the parts or further troubleshoot the error and banding issue?

Thanks again!
57Chevy

57chevy

Thanks to all who've helped so far!

Miserable to troubleshoot -this is costing a fortune in ink and paper!

The only way we seem to be able to test if the error is still there is with large prints 3' X 6', small tests do not cause the error.

The banding issue we really aren't all that concerned with -it's the error and shut down that is freaking us out!

We had zero print issues with banding or anything else until the error code and then subsequent firmware update.

One thing that might be of note for everyone, the machine is hooked up to the PC with usb not ethernet cable, but has been that way for a year or so.

Stealth Rider wrote: Download & save parameters, Blow the NVRAM and reload the MB Firmware, The Sub-Controller Firmware, then the parameters

I'd sure like to try this, but I'm afraid, I don't understand "blow the NVRAM" can you explain ALL the steps in a simpler form? Would appreciate it! We went to Mutoh's site for the firmware, did get the sub-controller firmware but did not update it, just the firmware.

Randya wrote: What does your nozzle check look like? Have you redone the PF Adjust?

Nozzle check yes -took two strong cleanings to get perfection, no have not messes with PF Adjust. Having difficulty finding a 1204 manual.

Not much information on troubleshooting the error online -seems like our only hope is everyone on this forum!

Thanks again!
57Chevy

Edserv

This may sound stupid, but the only time I've had issues like you're describing was when I had a bad connection (cat-3) from my computer to the printer. Really.

The printer would do weird things, I freaked out, tried (after hours) to figure it out, and finally figured out the connection wasn't solid. TOSS OUT BAD Connections (even if this isn't your solution.)
Good luck, we LOVE our 1204. Don't give up
Chris