• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh 1204 Troubles...

thewvsignguy

We purchased a 1204, Q54 and Flexi 10 about 4 1/2 years ago. The equipment has worked great for us both the cutter and the printer, until a few weeks ago...

I came in one morning about a month ago to the printer beeping and the orange light flashing. There was an error message (that I did not write down) other then wiper error something.

I did a quick google search and the solution was to clean really good around the wiper, so I did that and all was good for about two weeks. Last week the printer went to clean itself between prints and in the cleaning process there was a loud grinding noise that lasted maybe 2 sec but it did complete the clean cycle. It does not grind every-time it cleans itself only sometimes. So I happen to stop in the shop Sunday and again the printer was beeping and the orange light was flashing and the printhead was sitting about 2" to the left of the maint station. I turned the printer off, moved the head back over the maint station and turned the printer on and did 2 light clean cycles. It went through the clean cycles without grinding and the nozzle check was great.

Today printing looked great at first but during a clean cycle it did the grind, after the grind I started to get odd streaky areas (see attached), I don't know if it's electrical, encoder or what but the printer need some TLC. We clean the printer at least 2 times a week, more if we do heavy printing.. We print between 2-5 hours per day of steady printing. The inside is very clean and I take very good care of this piece of equipment. I have only replaced the wiper (twice in it's life) and only use OEM MUTOH Ink, I also lube the rail every 6 months.

Media was Avery 2906 and have a few rolls of this without issue, yet.

So I assume I need a maint station, dampers and anything else that I should do a PM at this time. Any help would be great!

Attachments

• Print 2.jpg
    Print 2.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 146
  • Print 1.jpg
    Print 1.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 147

heyskull

Without seeing your test print I can't say too much.
But I would be changing the complete maintenance station as this is a thing I replace yearly as they can get pretty well gummed up with ink.
The grinding noise is indeed the wiper assembly as this jams up and the gears that move it back and forth slip.

Personally I would leave the dampers alone unless they are leaking and not sealing on the head.
I have the original dampers in my 1604 and that is 8 years old and 3.5 years into its last head change.

Looking at your pictures that looks like either contamination on the material or a heating issue.

Lastly with regards to lubricating the rail. I would avoid lubricating it as the bearings are of sealed type and any grease/oil on the rail promotes dust to cling to it and causes wear.

SC

thewvsignguy

Thanks for the reply.

The test/nozzle test is perfect, no deflection at all.

Will take note of the lube on the rail, The printer will print on more 30" then 50" media. You can hear the "stop" spot when the head travels all the way to the left on the 50" media. I just clean behind, under and along the top rail then lightly apply the lube when we change from 30 to 50.

Where is the best place to get an OEM Maint station? I do not want a cheap knock off, I want Mutoh genuine parts.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Stupid question but how difficult are these to replace? I see instructions are included but are they 1204 specific?

I replace a lot of Mutoh maintenance stations every year so for me, I can do it in about 30 minutes. Most of our customers are replacing these parts on their own and they tend to take about an hour to an hour and a half. If you know which end of a screw driver to hold, you can replace the station. Just take your time and don't force anything you aren't sure about. The instructions we send are specific to the 1204 and if you run into any confusing parts or get stuck during the install you can always call us for free support.